Chapter 10

Since the conversation she had with Brittany on the bleachers, Santana finally feels like she's getting somewhere in Lima. Not that she's going to start looking for a house to buy and possibly settle there, but things feel slightly normal again like she's finally feeling like herself.

Things with Brittany have also gotten better and she's so thankful for that. They might not be on the same level of friendship as they were back in school, but they're at least on speaking terms again. Santana doesn't feel on edge anytime Brittany's near which is a huge step since she has returned to Lima.

By mid-October, Santana, Quinn, and Brittany have for the most part gotten the hang of coaching the squad. They've each fallen into specific roles that play on their strengths: Quinn, the organized leader, Brittany, the creative choreographer, and Santana, the disciplinarian. With the three of them combined, they're like a hybrid version of Coach Sylvester and the squad responds well to their way of coaching.

But occasionally, the girls slip up and their usual focus is shifted elsewhere: like today.

It's the last practice before the Homecoming game taking place tomorrow night which means tonight is the first bonfire of the year. Quinn and Santana flank Brittany as she tries to run through the last few steps of the routine the squad is meant to be performing at the Homecoming game. Santana finds herself admiring how poised Brittany is when she's teaching, she's never really seen this side of her before. There were a couple times in their Glee Club days when Brittany and Mike would team up on choreography, but this is different. She's this confident leader that is able to motivate the team and uplift them to do their best without having to demean anyone unlike Sue.

Santana doesn't realize she's smiling proudly until she feels Quinn nudge her with her elbow. The blonde smirks at her and Santana rolls her eyes. She's proud of Brittany, her friend, and that's allowed.

The squad buzzes with excitement and it becomes increasingly harder for Brittany to capture their attention as practice goes on. Santana notices Brittany becoming a little frustrated and decides to offer some help.

"Focus up, ladies!" Santana says loudly while clapping her hands.

Most of the girls settle down, all but one. Santana's eyes narrow as she sees Alex continuing to talk with the girl next to her. From the mischievous glint in Alex's eyes, Santana knows she's just wants to push her buttons which usually wouldn't bother Santana because she and Alex have a slight understanding of each other. But when Alex's antics are at Brittany's expense, it crosses a line for Santana.

So she finds herself taking a step forward, the girls instantly stand a little straighter minus Alex, and she crosses her arms as she tenses her jaw.

"Care to share with the team, Carpenter?" Santana asks and Alex rolls her eyes.

"Not really, no." Alex scoffs.

"No, please. Share with your team because you clearly have something more important to say rather than listening to Coach B. I personally would love to know what you have to say because this squad's biggest concern right now is learning this routine but by some odd chance you've miraculously found the cure for cancer or how to end world hunger, please share." Santana replies and she see several girls look wide eyed at each other. Anyone in their right mind would stop there, but Alex isn't like the other girls.

"You know what, I'm so-" Alex begins but Maddy quickly scrambles to her side to cut her off. Her hand clutches Alex's wrist and Santana watches as Alex's demeanor softens instantly. Santana's just a little too far away to hear what Maddy says but whatever she does quickly calms Alex.