Theft

Word count: 1142

-----

Y/N updated her monthly calendar as she looked over the new assignments that had been given to her via email. She had been checking her inbox over ten times a day for the past week, waiting for an update on her latest piece. She had been working for SM Entertainment for nearly a year now. For the most part, her job consisted of organizing and cleaning up tracks- mundane and boring, but it was work. She occasionally got to do some preliminary mixing or editing to created tracks. Once every blue moon, though, she'd be given the opportunity to write her own song.

Of course, she was writing plenty of music on her free time. She sent them into the company for review all the time. The one she was currently waiting on, though, was different. Normally when she created tracks, she had specific aesthetics in mind, but no group. The company had been known to take little pieces of her work that they liked and mash it into other songs. Although it wasn't ideal, it was part of her contract, and honestly it was to be expected. This particular track she had created specifically for the group SuperM. While she hadn't pushed that fact too hard, she made sure to mention it several times. She was convinced that it would be the biggest hit he group had ever created if she could just get it through.

Unfortunately, the company was shit at keeping her updated. In many cases, they wouldn't even give her an answer at all. She'd be mixing a new release and then, suddenly, her track would pop up in the middle of another. Things like that became grating at times, but she was still happy to have a job. Plus, it was nice to hear her music on the air, even if it wasn't quite as impressive as having a whole song produced.

Her dream was to become a real, credited producer- a 'name-on-the-back-of-the-album" kind of producer. She had considered trying to join a group and produce from within, as it wasn't uncommon, but decided that it just wasn't realistic. She would have to settle for slowly crawling her way to the top through continued demonstration of her abilities. When her friends had realized that she had picked up a job at SM, they were more excited than she had been. They wanted to meet idols, get signatures, free merchandise and tickets- the works. Much to their dismay, she simply worked in an office, just like any other aside from the second-rate production equipment.

Leaning back in her squeaky, wheeled chair, she cracked her back, eyes still situated on her inbox. Finally, she sighed, realizing that if the email was coming, it wouldn't be in this instant. Whether there was some cruel god, or CEO, working against her, she didn't know, but it wasn't worth the trouble right now. Not only that, but her hours would end soon. Standing, she gathered her things, shut off her console, and began walking towards the front entrance of the building.

Although there was a quick way to the exit down a side staircase, she liked to walk through the practice area. Although not all the trainees were always good, she could generally pick up some nice little snips of dance practices or new songs that were soon to come out. She rarely stayed to watch, as it was fairly strange for an employee to do so, but if it was something she'd worked on, she'd consider it.

Striding down through the countless doors, she heard the beautiful chaos of music being created. Some rooms were recording vocal tracks, a few had instrumentation for the more classic groups, the stomping and jumping from the dance rooms rang in the distance- it was definitely a noisy machine to behold. Holding her bag to her side, she smiled lightly as she recognized an album that had been dropped by a different group last month. Perhaps they were practicing for a concert, or a music video.

Out of nowhere, something caught her ear. She wasn't quite sure how she had even picked up on it through the pandemonium, but it rang out clear, like a bell. It was a mid-range male voice, dipping into the lower range of the scale in a dancing melody. Although it was muffled by the foam that was covering all the walls, as well as obscured by the hundreds of decibels littering the air around her, it managed to pierce its way directly to her ears.

Eyes widening, she followed it to a window just a few rooms down. Looking through, she noted that it was the door to a recording booth, and through the second pane of glass, she saw a very familiar face. Of course, she was aware of all of the SM idols, as well as a good few of the trainees. While she interacted with very few of them, it was customary to be aware of who they were. In this case, though, a more than well-known man sat on the stool with the headset.

Tall and slightly leaned over, his eyes were closed as he contentedly recorded a vocal track for what she had to guess was the tenth time that day. (The idols were often forced to repeat sections tens, if not hundreds of times). Even in regular clothing, the shape of his face, and more importantly to her- the quality of his voice, were unmistakable. It was Lucas, from WayV. Relevant in this case, though, it was also Lucas from SuperM. And he was singing her song.

Her. Song. Without thinking about it, she grabbed the handle, which was thankfully unlocked, flinging the door open and surprising the two producers sitting in the booth. Both looking over, one man stood, brows furrowing.

"What are you doin' in here, kid? We're trying to record something, get out!" Lucas quickly noted the movement of his recording team, although unable to hear what was happening from inside the booth. The other man held up a hand as if to tell him they needed to take a pause.

"You're recording my song. I wasn't even notified of this! The company-"

"We have nothing to do with what songs get picked, woman." The first man yelled in return. "Don't get yourself all worked up just because they're using your stuff! You should be happy!"

"Happy?" She argued. "They didn't even tell me! What kind of-" As she was about to blow up even further on the man in front of her, the door between the two areas opened. Lucas stepped through, one leg transcending the frame along with the left side of his body. Glancing between Y/N and the producers, he asked,

"Is there a problem here?"