Interruption

Word count: 1045

-----

Taeyong's headphones allowed him to spin the speakers for comfort, so he held one side to his ear and spun the other to offer to her. She leaned over awkwardly with her ear hovering over the round, leathery device, leaving mere inches between the two. She shifted weight between her legs as she hear the various clicks and buzzes of the boy using his cursor on the laptop. Noting her discomfort, Lucas pulled a second office chair out from under the accompanying desk.

"Here.' He muttered under his breath, offering it to her as she gratefully sat down. Taeyong didn't even noticed, caught up in trying to mess with a few things. Lucas also pulled the headphones out of one of the monitors, plugging it into Taeyong's PC, finally causing the boy to notice.

"Oh, you found more headphones?"

"There have always been two." Lucas commented idly as the boy looked on with a stare.

"Huh." As Lucas coughed, trying to point it out, he continued,

"That means you can back up. And wear your own." Looking between Y/N and Lucas, he started stumbling on his excuses.

"Yeah, right, right... sorry-" Clicking a bit more sporadically, he hummed, "Okay, here it is." After a moment, though, there was no audio gracing her own headphones.

"Are you going to play it, or...?"

"Yeah, I- yeah. Just... don't judge it too hard, okay?" Really? He was the famous one, with all the solo tracks and fans and groups. He was worried about her opinion? Strange, but she just shrugged.

"Whatever, let's hear it." Hesitantly, he clicked play, allowing the intro to load up. Aside from a few minor synth adds in the background, the opening was generally the same. Closing her eyes as the piano notes danced across the baseline, she waited for the vocals. It was definitely a buildup, but she had done that on purpose. As inexperienced as she may have seemed, she knew what audiences wanted. Just before they made it to the vocal entrance, though, the music cut out.

Eyes sparking open, she looked to Taeyong, confused. At first, she thought he was looking back, giving him a funny stare as a silent way of asking what he was doing. As she did this, though, she realized that he was not looking at her, but rather past her. Turning curiously as she pulled the headset from her ears, she saw another familiar face leaning through the door.

He was an icon of the industry, as was everyone in SuperM. He was practically in every group, spoke plenty of languages (although none of them well), and was widely regarded as a fan favorite. Mark Lee, eyes flitting between all the members as he invaded the space without so much as a knock, had several questions.

"Uh, hi?" Taeyong said with a strange tone. She knew they must be friends, but for some reason it seemed like Taeyong didn't want them in the room.

"Hi? Who is this?" Mark immediately asked, unaware of any social cues any of the three were putting out.

"Mark, this is Y/N." Lucas introduced her, holding his hand out as a gesture. "She's the producer who wrote Speed."

"Breakneck." She insisted.

"Sorry! Force of habit. She wrote Breakneck."

"Oh, is that what you guys are looking at?" He asked excitedly, rushing in to crowd up behind Taeyong. "Did you add a rap for me?" Sighing, Taeyong clicked into a bar.

"Yeah, it's right-"

"Add a rap?" Y/N asked, head tilting slightly. "Why does he need two raps?"

"Two...?" Taeyong was just as puzzled. "He didn't have one before."

"Yes he did, I spent like, literal hours making sure it was perfect for his style."

"Well, when the company gave it to me, he didn't have a rap." Thinking back through the lyrics and the setting, she wondered what might have gone wrong.

"Here, I'll write down the lyrics, you can-"

"I mean, we made a rap." Taeyong interrupted, slightly annoyed. He obviously wasn't taking well to her breezing over his work so quickly. "In fact, Mark can listen to it right now." Pulling out the jacks for both headphones, Taeyong turned the external speakers up, skipping to the part of the file that assumedly contained the rap. Hitting play, her nose scrunched.

It wasn't bad, necessarily. Once you're used to something and enjoy it, though, it's hard to change. This explained her problems with Taeyong's new rap. The lyrics were base, and although the flow was immaculate and gave a good vibe, it didn't fit with the rest of the track. Mark seemed to enjoy it pretty well. Lucas laughed as the rap finished up, prompting Taeyong to ask what was so funny.

"Look at her face, man, she hates it." Taeyong looked to her, causing her to realize the disdain written all over her. She tried to relax her muscles, but the blood was already pooling in her face, heating up her skin.

"I- I don't hate it, I just-"

"What, you think yours was so much better? Let's hear it then." Taeyong muttered, muting all the vocal tracks one by one. Checking to make sure it was clear, he hit play, letting the intro to the beat move into the rap. Now annoyed once more, she rapped her original lyrics over the music. While her rap was a bit longer, (meaning it didn't quite fit), the flow was relatively the same. She was no Mark, but she knew their style like the back of her hand.

When she had finished, she looked at three varying expressions. Taeyong looked reluctantly impressed, while Lucas smiled approvingly and Mark was practically jumping off the walls.

"I love it!!" Mark said with a huge grin on his face. "Can we please use it?"

"Man, watch it." Lucas mumbled, jerking his head towards the other man.

"No, it's fine." Taeyong admitted. "It was really good. Maybe... we can work some of it in."

"It's not like I have any final decision." Y/N said, rather passive-aggressively.

"What?" Mark seemed confused. "You're not like, our producer? For the new album?" She couldn't help but laugh out loud.

"No. I just work upstairs."

"Well, we need to fix that then!"