Breakneck

Word count: 1245

-----

The halls weren't unfamiliar to Y/N as they walked. She had often been in the mixing studios herself, although it was mostly after-hours on her own personal time. She liked to use the better equipment for her experimental tracks, even if it meant sacrificing the comfort of her own home. This time wasn't much different, despite the circumstances. It was all for the sake of her music. She didn't care how hot or famous someone was, they needed to take their paws off her work.

Taeyong was checked into a studio she had used before, number 8- although none of them were really that different. This one had the benefit of all the USB ports working, which wasn't something that could be said for every computer in the building, but she rarely needed more than one anyway. When Lucas led her to the room, she could see through the slotted window that he was wearing a pair of headphones, leaning back in an office chair, clearly invested with what was on the screen despite knowing about the meeting. She reached for the doorhandle. Lucas tried to grab her arm so they could discuss before she simply barged in, but she was on a roll now.

It took him a moment to notice them, as his eyes were closed for a bit. She stood, arms crossed and foot tapping as he lightly spun in his chair, nodding to the beat with a serene look on his face. She could tell by the bass that it wasn't her track, but she couldn't help but wonder if he had stolen that one as well. Finally, as his positioning drifted, his eyelids fluttered open, alerting him to their presence. He seemed completely nonchalant as he took his time stretching, sitting up straighter and gently moving the headphone to be situated around his neck.

"Hey, Lucas! And, uh..." He looked at her blankly, as if not wanting to just say out loud that he was completely unaware of her name. She assumed that because of Lucas's quick summary, he may know that she worked at the company, and didn't want to play into the stereotypes that idols don't know who work for them. Unfortunately in her case, these stereotypes were almost always true. She understood.

"Nice to meet you, my name is Y/N." Leaning forward to shake her outstretched hand, he nodded.

"Y/N. I was just working on some stuff- not sure if you listen to any NCT127 or anything, but I'm hoping they let me perform it as my solo... the big guys don't usually like that kind of stuff, though." He said, laughing awkwardly. "Sorry, I'm rambling. Lucas is used to it, we complain about getting shifted on solo all the time." Lucas rolled his eyes, obviously considering Taeyong's problem to be far overplayed, but he said nothing. "Anyway, enough of that, what can I do for you?"

Y/N's confidence in her anger was quickly slipping out of her hands. She grasped for the fury that she was palming not a minute prior, but he seemed so innocent and unconcerned about it. Normally, this would have made her ire worse, watching him enjoy life as he stole her music, but... it was just so hard. She looked to Lucas for some assistance as both boys stared expectantly at her. Coughing, he tried to put up the concern lightly.

"Y/N had some issues with... the new song." Taeyong's eyebrows slanted.

"Which one? Was it-" He was about to say something, looking over with a weird expression. When her face twisted as well, he held up a hand. "Sorry, confidentiality stuff, I don't want tot accidentally-"

"We only have like, two right now." Lucas laughed at his weirdly formal approach. "I forget what it's called... I think it's like, speed?" At this, Y/N found her voice again.

"Woah, hold up. It's not called "Speed", that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! I titled the track Breakneck, it's not-"

"Oh, yeah, that was the file name." Taeyong said idly. "They're usually code, though, so I never really pay attention to-"

"So you did take it!" She accused. At this, he seemed incredibly confused.

"Took it?"

"I heard Lucas singing it, and he said that you said you wrote it! The company didn't even tell me they were using it, and now you're just gonna pretend-" Putting up his hands defensively, he rolled back in his chair.

"Hey, hun, calm down. I'm sure this is all a big misunderstanding. I never said that it was my song."

"Like hell I-... what?" Still in a protective position, he explained.

"Look, I really like Sp- sorry, Breakneck. I'm no producer, but I was offered the chance to mix it and add a little twist for the SuperM vibe, so I accepted. That's all."

"Alright, but Lucas said that you claimed it was yours." Looking over at him, Taeyong half-asked,

"I said that it was a project I was working on." Lucas' head tilted as he thought back to the supposed interaction. Eyes widening just slightly in a hint of realization, he said,

"Oh... I guess that is what you said." Putting a hand to the back of his head, he laughed. "That's on me, I guess I just assumed you meant your project." Sighing as the emotions drained from her body, she found herself sitting on the floor. It was a bit strange, but it was comfortable for her, and she didn't really care what these two crazies had to say about it. Putting her hand to her head, she breathed out.

"Uh... are you okay?" Taeyong asked. He wasn't exactly smooth, to say the least. "I thought you'd be happy. Seeing as how we're not stealing from you and all."

"I... look, I'm honored or whatever garbage I'm supposed to say, but... It's still my music. And SM just... gave it to you."

"I... but aren't you a fan?" Trying to keep from having a breakdown, she posed,

"Yeah, but like... Imagine if they told you that you couldn't officially release GTA-"

"That happened-"

"Yeah, but then they gave it to Super Junior to perform or something."

"...Oh. I mean... I wouldn't really appreciate that-"

"Exactly. And is it because you hate them?"

"I guess not, but-"

"But it's your song, and you worked really hard on it, and you had a vision for it, and now all that's going to get messed up and there's nothing you can do about it?" Breathing out with a whistle, he nodded once.

"Yeah, okay... Maybe you can help me catch your vibe? You know, make it how you want, just through me?"

"I... I don't know." She was hesitant. For one, he could just claim the rights to do whatever he wanted at any point. No matter how nice, she never quite trusted anyone with her songs. Not only that, but she still wouldn't get any true credit for it. It wasn't that so much that bothered her, but more that everyone would think her song was someone else's. It hurt. Noting the grimace on her face, he tweaked his proposal.

"Well, how about you just listen to it for a bit? At least get a feel for what I've been doing." She couldn't refuse that. Lucas watched as she took his side, leaning over the computer as he clicked out of his file and into Breakneck.