CEO

Word count: 1059

-----

"Hey, I'm back." Mark said softly as she looked up to him, slightly distracted by the music in her ears. Taking a moment to process what he'd said, she pulled the headphones off, pausing the track.

"I already told Taeyong and Lucas, I have to do my work before I just come and mess around with you guys."

"Oh, yeah, they mentioned that," He pondered. "What exactly are they having you do?"

"Five tracks to mix, two of which are already mine," She recapped, smiling, "And I get to offer a completely new track."

"That's so awesome! What song are you going to do for yourself?"

"That's the thing, I don't know." She said with a frustrated glare. "I'm proud of a lot of stuff, but... I want it to mean something, you know?" Pausing for a minute, Mark's eyes glinted.

"You remember when we went to dinner, right?"

"Uh, yeah, it was yesterday." Trying to play it off, he continued,

"Well, not to impose, but... when you were talking about your start to your career and all that, you seemed really happy talking about that guy. Maybe you could redo that song!" Looking away, she muttered,

"I don't know... I don't even remember him. I'd feel kinda stupid doing that."

"Think of it this way-" He posed. "If it ends up on the album, whoever it is will recognize it, right? And then they'll see your name as the producer! Maybe you can find him!" She smiled slightly. The prospect did seem nice, but... would he be mad about her not keeping in touch? Worse, he probably didn't make it into the company. Would he resent her for that? Mark drew her away from those thoughts, though.

"Anyway, back to the other five tracks!" He said excitedly. "How did you manage that?! Did you talk to someone? I mean, if two of them are yours, there's a good chance they're all tracks from the album, right?" Picking them up and looking at the headers, she tilted her head, confused.

"Wait... this wasn't you?"

"No! And these are our tracks- this is amazing! I mean, there are gonna be more than six on the album, but this is a fantastic start!"

"Then... who talked to them?" He shrugged.

"Maybe they just discovered you when we did."

"No, they said that they were testing me out based on a specific request. Someone must have said something."

"Oh... I'll ask around, see who talked. Either way, we should be celebrating!" He smiled widely again. "Come on, let's go tell everyone!"

"Mark." She insisted. "Let me mix my tracks. I'll come over there later. Didn't you all have a recording session anyway?" He sighed in boredom.

"Yeah, I guess... It would be more fun if-"

"Later."

"Okay, okay! I'll leave you alone- but you'd better come later, promise!" Before she even got the chance to respond, eh ran out of the room. She breathed out exasperatedly. For being adults, they really did act like kids. Maybe now she'd finally be able to get her work done.

She managed to get about twenty minutes in. She didn't know what she was expecting, but once she had finally found a rhythm, she was interrupted again. Irritated beyond belief as she heard the door open, she ripped her headphones off, spinning in her chair to face the door.

"How many times do I have to tell you?! I have w-" She stopped suddenly as she faced the man in the doorway. It was definitely not Mark, Taeyong, or Lucas. The man who had interrupted her was much older, as well as shorter and heavier set. A tired look resided on his face, as if it never left. Still, he was smiling politely. While she hadn't seen him in person, she knew why he looked familiar.

"Y/N L/N, I assume?" He said, extending a hand. She quickly stood, shaking his hand with a nervous nod. She tried with all her might to keep her voice from shaking.

"Yes, sir."

"Ah, good. My name is Han Se Min, I'm in charge of a good bit, here. It's good to meet you."

"Yes, sir, you as well."

"I hear you're trying to become a producer, yes?"

"Yes, sir." She knew she may be overdoing it with the politeness, but she hadn't really been caught in many formal situations at the company. She definitely did not want to disrespect this man.

"Well, one of our singers from a particular group has expressed interest in testing your skills. He's gone so far as to stake some of his own reputability on it. I assume you're familiar with SuperM?" Of course, she was, she worked here. Still, she just nodded.

"Good. I was recently in a meeting with Lee Tae-Min, and as I've said, we've decided to let you try a few of the tracks. I see you have the preliminary paperwork already." So... it was Taemin? That didn't make sense, he didn't seem at all on board with the idea before. What had changed his mind? And so much so that he'd go and suggest it himself? Maybe he knew that his opinion would hold more sway than Mark's? Did the rest of the group know? She was unable to keep thinking through questions as he continued talking.

"I'd like to see how you work in the environment aside from just the studio, though. They're actually recording currently. I was hoping you'd be willing to come and mix in real time, help with the recording and such. Of course, you're free to decline, but..."

"I'd be happy to." She cut in, making sure she got her opportunity. While she was familiar with the equipment, she had never been the sole producer in a recording session before. It wasn't exactly ideal to have one of the CEO's watching her as she did so, but it couldn't be helped. The idea also led her to question why he was involved with this, as there were plenty of people involved with day-to-day operations, but it wasn't her place to argue.

"Perfect. I'd like to go now, then." He said, gesturing to the desk. "Pack up, I'll wait in the hall for you." Bowing politely, she watched as he left, trying to contain both her excitement and devastating nervousness.