CHAPTER 29: She Said: About the Neurosurgery Team's Dinner (Part 1)

After making herself a cup of coffee, Song Hwa sat back down in front of her computer to review the charts of her outpatients for the next day. She was halfway through the first chart when her phone rang. Ignoring the caller ID, she just swiped to answer.

"Yeoboseyo?" She asked.

"Annyeonghaseyo, gyosunim." Seun Bin's voice came from the other end. It was the first time she called her since she left for Sokcho.

"Uh! Oraenmaniya!" She replied with enthusiasm. "How's everyone?"

"Modu gwaenchanayo, gyosunim."

"It's nice to hear from you...."

"Dangshindoyo, gyosunim. I called to invite you for dinner on my birthday on Monday. The entire NS team will be there...."

At the mention of the NS team, Chi Hong suddenly came to mind.

Will he be there too?

She did not have to ask Seun Bin because she answered her question as if she was asked telepathically.

"It's a pity Chi Hong won't be there. Seuk Min called him and he said he can't come."

Which meant she had nothing to worry about. Yes, she would rather not see Chi Hong at the time being, that was why she was taking advantage of their time apart. She had not called him nor texted him since she left, and they only talk on the phone if he called. There were even calls that she decided to reject or declined to answer because she believed it would be for the best. Being all civil with him despite his confession and her rejection could lead him to believe that they could still have a future together. And, of course, she would not want him to think that. She would not want him to have false hopes by leading him on. She knew how painful it was to expect something that would—nor could—not happen.

Knowing that Chi Hong would not be there, she saw no harm in joining the NS team's dinner party. She missed spending time with these people anyway, and this would be a good opportunity to be with them and catch up on things.

"Mulroniji! I'd be there...."

"Eo! Kamsahamnida, gyosunim! I'll text you the address of the restaurant. We're looking forward to seeing you on Monday!"

Seun Bin just could not hide her excitement that it made her think:

Was it just a birthday dinner? Or could there be something else to celebrate? She would just have to wait until Monday and see.

She went back to checking her patients' charts when her phone alerted an incoming message. It was from Ik Jun.

Am I now officially a part of the NS team? Seuk Min invited me to dinner on Monday.

Isn't it obvious yet? I believe you already are.

You're coming, geureochyo? I'm afraid he'll take the invite back if you say no.

Mulroniji, I'm coming. But because of that, I can't be there for the band practice on Friday.

Gwaenchanha. Everyone's busy, the band practice this week is cancelled.

Uh, arasseo. Jigeum odiya?

In my office getting my notes. I have a lecture in five minutes. Gaya hae.

Arasseo. Don't forget to eat up. That was what she was going to say, but she decided not to reply. Anyway, he would most likely be out of the door before she even sends her message.

It was a good thing Chi Hong would not be there on Monday. She would not want to see Ik Jun and him in another silent confrontation.

What happened that night was still vivid in her mind. The squad was supposed to go to a karaoke bar, but she had priorly accepted the NS team's dinner invitation. When Ik Jun came to her office to pick her up, she told him she would join them later. Not giving in to his appeal to bail out from the NS dinner and go with him instead, she had him at her heels to the parking lot.

"Just go to the karaoke bar and I'll be there in an hour."

"Then I'll just take you there and pick you up after an hour."

"Arasseo. If that's what you want."

Ik Jun drove her to the restaurant where the NS team's dinner would be held. Unexpectedly, the entire NS team also just arrived and were about to enter when she got out of his car. Seuk Min, curious, discreetly peeked inside and recognized Ik Jun.

"Uh, gyosunim! Annyeonghaseyo!" He exclaimed.

"Uh, annyeong." He replied, raising his hand to wave a greeting or goodbye, only himself knew.

"Jamkkanman, gyosunim! Aren't you joining us?" Seuk Min asked.

"A...Aniya...." Ik Jun mumbled.

"Jebalyo, gyosunim. Please join us." Seuk Min invited, as everyone else joined in on convincing him. She, on the other hand, remained silent. She felt divided. One part of her wanted Ik Jun to join them, and another part of her did not.

The team was still asking Ik Jun to join them, but he was still saying no. Knowing him well enough, it was obvious that he wanted to stay (if he did not, he could have just driven away, right?) but would not do so if she did not want him to. His eyes confirmed that thought when he glanced at her amidst the chattering of the NS team.

This scene would not end if she would not intervene. She broke her silence.

"Yah, Ik Jun-ah," She called. "Baega gopeuda. Park your car and let's go inside."

"Wonhaneun daero!" Ik Jun answered without thinking twice. He turned the car around and headed back to the parking lot.

She smiled and slightly shook her head as the NS team stared at her in astonishment. They were probably thinking she got Ik Jun wrapped around her fingers.

"What just happened, gyosunim?" Seuk Min asked.

"I think he's hungry just like us. Deurogaja."

Inside the restaurant, an hour into the dinner party, Ik Jun turned to her to notify her that they should be leaving. She ignored him, as she amusingly watched the NS team play Spin-the-Bottle Truth or Dare. She remembered the time when they used to play the same game.

Still not paying attention to Ik Jun's mumblings, she watched as the bottle stopped spinning, pointing to Seuk Min.

"You guys don't have any questions for me, right?" He said. "All right, pass...."

Then one of the NS interns interrupted and boldly asked: "What do you think of Dr. Heo Seun Bin?"

Before Seuk Min could even answer, Seun Bin intervened in his behalf by telling them that there was nothing going on between them.

Her answer had more impact than the question itself, and changed the atmosphere for everyone, especially her and Ik Jun. They simultaneously leaned forward, obviously wanting to hear what Seuk Min's answer would be. Reluctant to answer, Seuk Min remained silent while Seun Bin tried to convince the party that her previous statement was true. Then Chi Hong hushed her and dared Seuk Min to take a shot of soju if he did not want to answer the question.

What happened next took Song Hwa by surprise. Ik Jun, who, just a few minutes ago was begging her for them to leave, stepped in and amped up the game by replacing the shot glass with a regular glass and filling it up with soju. If he would not want to answer the question, he would just have to down the entire glass. He chose to answer.

Of course, Ik Jun was right when he said that they asked Seuk Min the wrong question. Being able to answer it without giving himself away was enough proof of it.

She understood what Ik Jun wanted to point out—that questions should be direct to the point if someone wanted a direct answer; thus, wordings were of importance. When Seuk Min got all worked up when he was asked if he likes Seun Bin, and got away without answering by commenting that he thought it was just a demonstration, Song Hwa knew that learning from Ik Jun, someone's feelings might be out in the open before the evening ends.

And she was right. Only, she did not anticipate whose feelings it would be.