CHAPTER 38: He Said: About the Morning After

The NS team decided to call it a night at eleven. Ik Jun took the sole responsibility of taking care of Song Hwa, despite Chi Hong's insistence to assist.

She kept on babbling that she could drive herself home, but of course he would not let her do that. He strapped her in her car's passenger seat and took the driver's position in her place.

It was already late, he was tired, and Song Hwa was bombed. He thought of taking her home with him, but he would not want to do it if she would not allow it. He could ask her, but he knew that whatever her answer could not be exactly what she wanted because of her alcohol-altered mental state. To avoid misunderstandings or any other complications that could possibly arise, he decided to drive her home to Sokcho.

They arrived at her apartment a few minutes after one. He carried her in his back all the way to her bedroom.

Since he left his car at the restaurant parking lot, he would have to take the public transportation back to Seoul. He sat down on the couch to pass the time, or perhaps take at least a couple of hours sleep, before preparing breakfast.  But he could not stop thinking of something.

Still thinking about it, he dozed off, overslept and woke up  a little past seven. He had never slept this straight and this long for quite a while. He felt well-rested but short of time because he had to go back.

Song Hwa's still in bed. I'll just buy breakfast and have it before I leave.

Not knowing that she was already awake and in the shower, he left to buy food and returned to her already waiting for him. He prepared everything in front of her and began eating.

Amidst the blanket of silence, he wanted to ask Song Hwa about what she said last night and why did she say it. But he opted to keep his mouth shut for a while. He deemed it was not the right time to talk about it, since she obviously had a terrible hangover and perhaps, still not quite out of the influence of alcohol.

But the truth was, he was not even sure if he should still ask, because....

When he carried her all the way to her bedroom after they arrived at one, he managed to remove her coat and shoes before tucking her into bed. He pulled the blanket over her as she stirred, revealing the palm of her left hand, and the cute butterfly design of the ring on her finger.

He was floored.

Song Hwa had all the reasons to say everything she said last night.

Eotteoke?...How long...had she been wearing it?

For now, it did not matter. He could ask her about it soon. But as to why she wore it in reverse, he himself knew the answer.

Getting a hold of the ring, he was now certain she went to the restaurant that night of her birthday in 1999. There was no other explanation for it. And seeing the gift in the trash can, after so many times the meet up went on and off in just one night, he concluded that she knew that he had changed his mind about her. Wanting to keep the gift, she took it and wore it whenever, keeping the design hidden in her palm, and from him. To avoid complications, confusion, and even embarrassment, she deemed it best not to talk to him about it.

That was how he understood it. Like a jigsaw puzzle, bits and pieces could still be missing, but he could already see the picture. And that was mostly the thing running through his mind when he fell asleep, slouched on her couch.

During breakfast, the deafening silence was killing him. He wanted to neutralize it, so he talked about anything that came to mind, except what happened last night.

Then he remembered the possibility that he had not yet thanked her for the breakfast the morning after the NS team's dinner.

He began by asking for her forgiveness regarding what he said and the embarrassment it could have caused her.

Then, he thanked her for the breakfast. But when he looked at her, her eyes were squinted, as if she was trying to remember. She was silent for quite a while, but he let her. She was not completely out of the hangover.

"I need to go back to Seoul after breakfast." He informed her. "You can go back to bed if you want, I'll clean up."

"Aniya...I'll do it."

"Gwaenchanha. You can continue your rest."

"Ani...I have to go to the hospital anyway, so might as well stay up."

They resolved to cleaning up after breakfast together.

At about eleven in the morning, he was back in Seoul and went straight to the restaurant for his car. Then, he headed to YULJE for his work. During lunch in the cafeteria, he caught up with Jun Wan and Jeong Won.

"Ya, Ik Jun-ah." Jun Wan started. "What's going on between you and Go Ara? Huh?"

"Amugeotdo anida. Wae?" He answered.

"I saw her yesterday and she was looking for you. I told her you're in your office. Eottae? Museuniri?"

"Geurae, geuge neoyeonni? Do you know what you did?

"Wae? Mwo?"

"I came to Go Ara and Song Hwa in a staring contest...Hwa...It was like in the movies...the actors stare at each other before shooting each other's brains out...." He narrated with enthusiasm, complete with action.

"Yaish!" Jun Wan exclaimed. "We're eating here!"

"Uh...Mian...." Then, turning to Jeong Won, he said: "Ya, Jeong Won-ah, do you have time later?"

"Uh...I have a lecture this afternoon. I'll be free at five. Wae?"

"I need to talk to you...you know...about 'life.'" Upon saying the last word, he turned to Jun Wan and gave him a sarcastic teasing smile.

"Aish...Jinjja...Gaesaeggi...."

He continued with his lunch, as Jun Wan and Jeong Won also did. They might not have taken him seriously, but he was definitely it when he said he wanted to talk to Jeong Won. He wanted to ask for his advice, and perhaps even seek his...guidance?

After his life-changing decision of foregoing the interview for priesthood in order to remain by Gyeo Eul's side, he believed he is at the best position to help him regarding Song Hwa. To heck with the pact. After what Song Hwa became last night, he believed their situation could not—and should not—wait any longer. Honestly, it had waited longer than necessary. He must put an end to it. They had suffered long enough—especially her.

He would just have to wait for the right time, and perhaps, prepare the right words.