CHAPTER 42: He Said: About His Last Move

It was Song Hwa's birthday, and Ik Jun had been planning on telling her about his feelings for her today, just like he planned on doing so twenty years ago. But....

He read the message he had just received from Jeong Won.

She's gone camping.

He knew it. She declined a birthday party to be able to do the one thing she liked most. He had thought of something special for her today, and she chose to go camping.

That's definitely Song Hwa. I gotta do it her way.

He refrained himself from getting in touch with her for the entire day. He thought it could help him collect all the courage he could get from within him and let it all out this one last time.

Then he remembered his last confession in Sokcho.

Ani. It won't happen that way. I won't let it. Plan B.

It was six thirty. The four boys were gathered for a dinner of samgyupsal. It sure was different without Song Hwa to fight meat over with.

At seven thirty, the group left for a night at the karaoke. His plan was to lure her to go with them. If she did, he would separate themselves and propose to her privately. So far, nobody knew of it, but Jeong Won likely already had an idea.

Inside Jeong Won's car, they called her up to ask her out. But she declined.

I knew it. Plan C.

"Jeong Won-ah." He said. "Take me to her."

"Wae?" Jun Wan asked. "Let her be. Let's go to the karaoke."

"Does she need some scolding?" Jeong Won asked with a smile.

"Ne...Not some. All the scolding she could get."  With an emphasis in all.

"Aish...Jinjja....Leave her alone!" Jun Wan again.

"Ani. I'm not gonna let this one pass." He answered.

Jeong Won drove straight to the camping site. When they parked, all eyes were on him. This was it. No turning back.

"Neo michyeosseo...." Words of encouragement from Jun Wan.

"Just be kind to her." Reminders from Seuk Hyung.

"Go home." Jeong Won ordered with a sweet and knowing smile.

"Geurolkke." He promised with determination as he opened the car door and got off.

He was starting on his way up to look for her camping spot when his phone rang.

"Ya, Ik Jun-ah. Odi isseo?" Song Hwa asked.

"I'm on my way home." He answered, trying his very best to contain the excitement, joy, fear...Everything. He had no idea how he sounded. He never expected she would call her now—or any other time—because of their current situation.

"Uh...Arasseo. Momjoshimhae." She said, then she hung up. He knew she wanted to ask why was he not with the others. But like him, he knew she could be restraining herself until everything between them was resolved.

He continued his way up the path towards the camping site. He searched for her camping spot.

He saw the camping spot number, but he did not go to her immediately. He took his time appreciating her—one of the Higher Being's expression of love for him—from afar. Just as he had imagined, she was peacefully staring at the stars.

He dialed her number.

"Ya...Are you home already?" She asked.

"Ne." He answered concisely. "How are the stars? Are they still there?"