CHAPTER 41: She Said: About Her Special Day

It was her birthday-her special day, so Song Hwa decided that she would make it worthwhile. She had not gone camping for quite sometime now and she misses it a lot. She planned on going, rain or shine, whatever it takes. She needed this as a 'treat' to herself.

When the boys called her to tell her of the birthday party they were planning for her, she declined and told them that she had previous plans. They resorted to having the usual dinner instead, but with an additional birthday cake. That was it. The way she said she wanted it.

But how come she felt somewhat disappointed?

When she and Jeong Won talked about her feelings for Ik Jun, he talked her into waiting for a little bit more. And she did. When they told her of the plans for a birthday party, she somehow knew that something good would happen. She thought it would be the moment she was waiting for. The time Jeong Won was talking about.

Yet it was not. Nothing special, just another dinner time with the boys.

That was why she made it a point that she would go camping today-her birthday-and nobody could stop her. She would not allow another disappointment today-not on her special day.

At the camping site, Song Hwa rested herself on the folding chair after setting up the tent. At last, she would be able to use the wood stove and log rack that she had bought on line five months ago. She would be spending the night here, so these purchases would prove their worth.

As she was having her coffee, her phone rang. It was Jeong Won.

"Annyeong." She said softly. She must be relaxed to fully enjoy this 'me'-time.

"Odiya?" He asked.

"I'm camping."

"I thought so. You're using the stove?"

"Ne. I just used it to make coffee."

"Jalhaesseo. Ije gabolge. Jeulgida. Momjoshimhae."

"Araesseo." She answered with a smile before hanging up.

By eleven in the morning, as she was preparing her lunch, her phone rang again.

It was Seuk Hyung.

"Annyeong." She greeted, as calm as she the day's weather.

"Kaempinghani?" He asked.

"Ne. It's nice up here."

"Did you eat lunch?"

"I'm making it."

"Need company?"

"Aniya...." She answered with a smile.

"Geureom, annyeong." He replied before hanging up on her.

She predicted that Jun Wan would be calling next. And she was right. She was eating the lunch she had personally cooked-rather, heated-when her phone rang.

"Ya, Jun Wan-ah." She answered, in between chews.

"Kaempinghani?" He asked, in a somewhat annoyed tone.

"Ne. Wae?"

"You should be celebrating your birthday with us!"

"We already did that last night, remember?"

"Heol...Annyeong." He said before hanging up on her.

One more. If her prediction is correct, Ik Jun would be calling her before she finished her lunch.

Only, it was wrong.

He'll probably call later in the afternoon.

Still, she had not heard from Ik Jun. The three others had already taken their turns in calling her, and they already had at least three times. But she still had not heard from Ik Jun.

She released a heavy sigh.

Ani...I'm not disappointed. Only...Mwo?...Aigoo...I am disappointed.

She shook her head to get rid of the negative thought. She should not allow anything to ruin this day for her. She promised. She must fulfill. She owed it to herself.

At seven thirty in the evening, she propped herself on her folding chair, coffee mug in hand. The wood stove was still proving its worth-giving her heat in the chill of the night.

She looked up at the night sky. She had forgotten how beautiful it could be. Though the stars were few, they were still countless. They were twinkling like glitter in a midnight blue velvet blanket...She had been taking them all for granted. As her thoughts were running, a shooting star swiped across the dark velvety sky, in a blink of an eye. She straightened up on her seat and quickly made a wish.

I wish I could do this more often.

As she had her eyes closed for the wish, her phone rang. It was Jeong Won.

"Annyeong." She answered in a sweet voice.

"Ya, Song Hwa!" Jun Wan exclaimed instead. "We're going karaoke!"

Apparently, the boys were together having a good time themselves.

"Ya, Song Hwa, you're on speaker phone." Jeong Won reminded her. "Do you want to go with us?" He continued. "We can pick you up then take you back...."

"Aniya. Singyeongsseujima."

"Arasseo...." He said.

"Ya, Song Hwa! Be careful out there!" Jun Wan reminded her.

"Ya, Song Hwa, put on mosquito repellants...." Seuk Hyung followed up.

"Galkke." Jeong won said before hanging up.

Not a word from Ik Jun.

Aish...Jinjja...Ik Jun again?

She shook her head to rid of the thought. She must not let anything-or anyone-ruin this night for her.

At eight, she was still admiring the stars. She could do this every day-while working, of course. She thought of the boys.

They're probably singing their hearts out by now. Then she wondered if Ik Jun was with them. She did not hear him in the car during the call.

Unconsciously, she dialed Ik Jun's number.

"Ya, Ik Jun-ah. Odi isseo?" She asked casually.

"I'm on my way home." He answered calmly. By the tone of his voice, she felt something was bothering him. It was the same tone he used when he told them of his divorce.

"Uh...Arasseo. Momjoshimhae." She said before hanging up.

She wanted to ask him why he did not go with the boys, but of course, that would initiate a conversation that either of them could not handle properly as of now. She still had not disclosed her feelings for him, and he still had not talked to her about his true feelings for her. She wondered how long she should still wait. Or if she ever had to wait at all.