CHAPTER 37: She Said: About the Morning After

Song Hwa woke up with a splitting headache due to a repulsive hangover. It was already seven in the morning, but she had to be at the hospital by eight...or nine at most.

She struggled to get out of bed to prepare herself for work. Hand on her head, she was trying her best to recall the exact details of what happened last night and wondering how she got home. When she opened her bedroom door, she wondered no more. Ik Jun was slouched on her couch, his head resting on his hand, his feet propped up on her coffee table, and he was fast asleep. She had no idea how long he had been in that position, but if it had been a while, that would definitely result to a terrible neck and back ache and severe muscle pain.

She thought that the least she could do was prepare him some breakfast. She went back to her room and took a shower to relieve herself of the hangover. When she walked out, Ik Jun was nowhere in sight.

He left? He didn't even say goodbye?

Disappointed, she started to prepare some coffee for herself when her phone received a text message.

I went out to buy us breakfast. Hope you're feeling okay by now.

So, he was still here. Her heart jumped a beat at the realization. She was perplexed about the situation. She was relieved that he had not left yet, but after what happened last night, how would she face him?

Ik Jun had never seen her messed up as the night before, even after her break ups. If he ever asked, she would have a lot of explaining to do or....

I'll just say I'm drunk so I don't remember.

As she was still mentally outlining her monologue, Ik Jun returned with breakfast.

"Uh, you're up. Momeun gwaenchanha?" He asked. He probably knew that she was going to have a hangover.

"Gwaenchanha." She answered. "I took a warm and cold shower. I'm feeling much better than an hour ago."

"Good. Here. Eat this. Then, take this." He reached inside the plastic bag and took out a bowl of hot ramyeon, bulgogi, two servings of kimchi rice, coffee and some vitamins. He arranged them all in front of her. They sat down facing each other.

"Ja...Say your lines." He said before digging in.

After she said her lines, they began eating. She was keeping herself in check and alert so as not to be caught off-guarded. Ik Jun could suddenly pop out a question about last night, and if she fumbled for answers, she could appear too obvious, then she would need to do more explaining. She was grateful that he was not even mentioning anything.

Silence was enveloping the surroundings while they were having breakfast. And it was becoming more and more awkward as the moments passed. She could not take more of it.

"Did you sleep well?" She asked Ik Jun.

"Mulroniji." He answered. "That was a good six hours for me. I haven't slept that long for quite a while now...Neoneun eottae?"

"Nado." She answered briefly and continued eating.

"Ya, Song Hwa." Ik Jun said her name in a tone that implied castigation. She prepared herself for a private sermon.

"I was worried about you last night...."

"Wae?"

"You were saying crazy things to Seun Bin and Seuk Min. I tried to stop you, but you don't want to be stopped. Even Chi Hong tried to talk you...."

Omo...Omo...This is embarrassing.

Honestly, she remembered the events of last night. It might be vague, but she could not deny the fact that it happened.

She could not speak for the others, but for her, getting drunk did nothing to help her forget. What it did was give her the capacity to voice out what she otherwise would keep inside of her if she were sober.

And that explained what Ik Jun just said.

She was not the type to say crazy things, but now she knew that she was capable of it. She should definitely be not drinking more than she could handle. If this ever happens again, she could end up at the police station like Seuk Hyung.

Silence reigned again. Even though she wanted to ask about what she said or what she did last night, just to confirm whether her recollections were accurate, she decided to keep silent. She could not do anything about it anyway, unless she could turn back time. Might as well turn a blind eye and let it go.

She was still uncertain about what she should and would say if Ik Jun ever asks. She knew he was curious as to why would she allow herself to be wasted like that. But she was grateful he was keeping his silence and she prayed he would remain that way.

But being silent was not for Ik Jun, so after a few minutes of dead air, he began talking—not about what happened last night, but about what happened during the NS team's dinner—where he was the one who got wasted—and the events after that. He was so amused by it; it made her wonder if what she heard that night even had a tinge of truth in it.

"...Cham...I haven't actually thanked you for taking us all home that night."

"Gwaenchanha. Geunyang, dashin geureoji ma. If you do that again, I will leave you on the street."

"Gokjeongma, it won't happen again."

"It better be...."

"And thank you for bringing me breakfast the next day."

That statement was a bit puzzling to her. She squinted her eyes for trying to remember.

Naega eonje? I don't remember doing that.

She kept silent and let Ik Jun relate the story of the events that morning. She wanted to know more about what he could remember but she could not.

"Mianhae I went back to bed after letting you in. I wasn't feeling well that morning because of the hangover, so I wasn't able to eat with you, or have coffee, at least...."

What are you even talking about?

"...I heard you when you said you have to leave. I got out of bed, but you were in a hurry and already out and closing the door....Mianhae you have to see me that way. I didn't know what has gotten into me."

And I didn't know what you're talking about.

Whatever it was, she would have to find out. But not now, while she was still fighting a hangover.

Just like what Ik Jun felt the morning after the NS team's dinner, she felt like crawling back to bed and getting back to sleep. And perhaps, sort out her mixed emotions and nurse her bruised feelings.