Ch. 16 | Another Life

If I can't let you go will darkness divide?
For the fiction of love is the truth of our lies
We were playing for keeps, but we both knew the cost
Now the only way outs in your heart shaped box
And I hate that I made you the enemy
And I hate that your heart was the casualty
Now I hate that I need you
As we rest here alone like notes on a page
The finest to compose could not play our pain
With a candle through time I could still see your ghost
But I can't close my eyes,
for it is there where you haunt me most
And I hope that I sing through your memory
As we echo through time in the melody
Now I hate that I need you
And I hear you now when you said
"It hurts, but it had to fall apart to work"
As I see you now in what's left of me
Is it too late to plead insanity?
Cause I hate that it seemed you were never enough
We were broken and bleeding in the name of love
And I hope that we meet in another life
I don't hate that I need you

Motionless in White - Another Life

*******

Desperately, you reach for Ben as he pushes you through the portal, blindly reaching out, hoping to grab some part of him to pull him with you, but there's nothing but empty air. You hit the ground with a resounding "thud" that echoes throughout wherever you are.

"Ben! No!" you yell until your throat burns.

Without bothering to take in your surroundings, you lift yourself onto your hands and knees, and scramble closer to the now stationary archway you fell through.

The wolves are no longer running in circles, opening the portal to Lothal. Instead they stand still, almost mockingly, resolute in their decision to keep you where you are, regardless of your desperation to get back to Ben. The rippling cave wall is gone and in its place, the vast night sky littered with stars, and the emptiness of space. The gateway to where you thought you wanted to be is no longer a gateway, just an empty entrance to seemingly nothing.

"Please let me go back! He needs me!" you cry while staring up at the Loth-wolves, as if they can hear you, as if they care. When nothing happens, you take a deep breath, choking back more tears, and take in your surroundings for the first time since hitting the ground.

Your breath hitches when you notice the ground beneath you is either invisible or non-existent, but solid. It's as if you're floating in the middle of space, only there's gravity, and you can breathe. Once you realize you're not going to float away, you slowly get to your feet, expecting to feel the pain in your side from the fight with the guards. To your surprise, the pain isn't there and neither is the warmth spreading from your side down your thigh.

Your spidey sense tingles, and moments later you feel a presence behind you. Without hesitation, you grab your lightsaber from your belt, ignite it, and spin around to face whoever has managed to follow you. Mirroring Ben's stance, you point your lightsaber directly in front of you.

"I believe Luke cautioned against 'wildly swinging that thing,' did he not?" Obi-Wan asks.

Shocked, your grip on your lightsaber loosens, it slips from your hand, and clatters to the transparent ground beneath you.

"Obi," you whisper.

The man you consider your father looks the same as he did the last time you saw him, except he's dressed similar to Luke in a dark brown robe and light tunic. Leaning forward, he picks up his lightsaber and tilts the familiar hilt in his hand, as if examining it. It's been quite a while since he's held the weapon that had saved his life more times than he can count.