Ch. 19 | First Day of My Life

Yours was the first face that I saw
I think I was blind before I met you
And I don't know where I am,
I don't know where I've been
But I know where I want to go
And so I'd thought I'd let you know
Yeah, these things take forever
I especially am slow
But I realized that need you
And I wondered if I could come home
This is the first day of my life
I'm glad I didn't die before I met you
But now I don't care,
I could go anywhere with you
And I'd probably be happy
So if you wanna be with me
With these things there's no telling
We just have to wait and see
Besides, maybe this time is different
I mean, I really think you like me

Bright Eyes - First Day of My Life

*******

Epilogue | Part 2

"So this is my...our very small apartment."

You sweep your arm towards the living room like you're showcasing a prize on a game show.

"Let me give you a tour. This is the living room, that's the kitchen," you say, pointing behind you. Both are within throwing distance from you. "The bathroom is in the bedroom and that is the bedroom," you point to the door at the end of the small hallway, next to the kitchen. "That concludes the tour."

Ben, Han, and Leia stare at you questionably. It's not that you don't want Ben with you, it's just your apartment is perfect for one person. Maybe one person and their average sized significant other. Not one person and their 6ft 3in, 200+ lb, boyfriend who is either going to be trapped in your bed or in a wheelchair, depending on his pain level.

"I like it," smirks. She walks past Ben and Han who are hovering in the doorway because you still haven't moved away from the door enough for Ben's wheelchair to fit through.

"Am I actually going to be allowed into the apartment or would you like me to wheel myself into the hallway?" Ben asks, irritated with your behavior.

"Maybe you've forgotten for the next few months you're stuck in my...our bed, or in that chair. You're going to be completely dependent on me so you better watch your tone or I will wheel you into the hallway and leave you there."

You cross your arms over your chest and glare at him, daring him to snap back at you. He huffs and averts his eyes. Smiling, Han pushes Ben past you as you slide to the side.

Not wanting to go to his old apartment, Ben insisted the two of you go straight to yours. Leia and Han were planning to pack his clothes and bring them back to your apartment. He said he didn't want anything of his old belongings and gave Leia permission to sell everything or donate it.

Once they left, it was just the two of you in awkward silence in your living room.

"Why are you so uncomfortable with me being here? Would you prefer we lived apart?" He looks at you suspiciously, trying to hide the hurt.

"I'm not uncomfortable with you here."

"Then what is it? Did you or do you have a boyfriend here you failed to mention?" he slowly wheels himself into your bedroom, looking for signs another man has been there.