Ch. 18 | Finding You

I'm gonna search for your love
right through Hell and Heaven
Millions of years yet to come and in all dimensions
I know that you'll always be my happy ending
I know forever don't exist
But after this life ill find you in the next
So when I say "forever" it's the goddamn truth
I'll keep finding you

Kesha - Finding You

*******

Epilogue | Part 1

The pain in your head is unlike anything you've experienced. You should be happy right? You can't have a headache if you're dead.

Except...you should definitely be dead.

The sound of a heart monitor beeping in the distance rattles around your brain mockingly, hinting at what you know you'll find when you open your eyes. The sterile disinfectant smell fills your lungs with each nervous breath you take, further confirming your fears.

Slowly, hesitantly, you open your eyes, and immediately regret it.

There's nothing abnormal about the ceiling of your hospital room, yet it's the cruelest thing you've ever seen, for multiple reasons, one obvious one.

Did anything you experienced happen or did your imagination go crazy while you were unconscious?

The last thing you remember happening before waking up on Starkiller is getting hit from the side and hitting your head.

How long have you been unconscious?

The biggest and most important question, does any of that matter?

Whether what you experienced was real or not, the result is the same.

Ben is gone.

An angry yet painful sob is practically ripped out of you at the cruel realization. Your hand is pulled back when you try to bring it to your face. An IV has been inserted into the vein on the top of your hand, restricting your movement. Your anxiety skyrockets, sending you barreling towards a full fledged panic attack.

Without thinking, you roughly pull the medical tape off and yank the needle out of your hand. The pain barely makes you wince.

You feel like you're suffocating. You need to get out of the bed and out of the room.

Quickly sitting up, you reach into the front of your hospital gown and rip off the sticky heart monitor pads. Oddly enough, that hurts worse than ripping the needle out of your hand.

You're crying too hard to notice how fast and loud the heart monitor is beeping before you yank off the pads.

The pain in your head is unbearable but so is the thought of staying in the small room one second longer. It's like you're inside a physical reminder of everything that either never existed or existed but was lost. A blinding reminder of how alone you are.

"Oh dear! It's okay sweetie! You're okay!" an older woman says, as she rushes into your hospital room.

You're about to slide off the hospital bed but the woman stops you by placing her hand on your arm.

She's extremely short and oddly tan, considering where you live. Her thick grey hair is neatly curled and pinned up and her glasses hang around her neck on a small chain.

The grandmotherly vibe she's giving off is oddly comforting.

"It's okay, just breathe. In and out, like this."