nineteen

Fun fact: In Chapter 19 of Melting Gray, Natsu and Gray kiss for the first time.

... ;)

Natsu's POV

I guess Gray noticed the fact that our hands were interlocked at one point or another, or maybe he was completely aware the entire time, but nevertheless, his hand suddenly dropped out of mine and he giggled sheepishly.

I bit my tongue hard to keep from making obscene noises.

Going completely against my better judgement to bury my head in the sand and forget all of that happened, but I didn't really want to pretend I didn't notice, because I did, and something clearly needed to be said.

Gray saw my scrunched-up expression and looked crestfallen. He played it off cool, though. "Haa... Sorry," He grinned. "Got a bit excited, I guess?"

I nodded sharply, averting my eyes. Heat was flooding my face and I had never felt more small and embarrassed than I had right now. God, what does this all mean? Do I like Gray?

I seemed to be asking myself that question a lot, and I definitely didn't like that. I shook my head to clear my throat and focus on the clownfish weaving enough seaweed and blowing tiny air bubbles out of their gills.

"You know, there's only about two more weeks of school," Gray pointed out randomly, hands digging into his pockets boredly. I wonder why he brought that up so suddenly. "Did you know Juvia and I are on the ballot for Prom Court?"

"Oh, that's awkward," I whistled lowly through my teeth. "Do you have to forcibly go with her or something?"

"I don't think so, and God, I hope not," He rubbed his temple, like the mere mention of Juvia's name gave him a headache. "So, important question..."

"Yes..?" I trailed off, wringing my hands. I felt my heartbeat increase, pumping blood so roughly that I felt in inside my head. What was he going to ask? For us to go to prom together?
As friends, obviously, shut up, brain! Oh my God, just spit it out already!

"Natsu, did you hear me?" Gray looked quizzical. I dizzily snap out of my thoughts and shake my head meekly. He rolled his eyes and opened his mouth to repeat himself. "I asked you if you wanted to do anything else today. There's no point in going back to school, so I was just curious."

"Oh..." I mumbled, feeling slightly dejected. I tried to look chipper and nodded. "Sure, what do you want to do?"

"Something spontaneous?" Gray offered chirpily.

"Like what?" I had no ideas on what to do. Gray was usually the one who dragged me to all these places. Not like I was complaining, but you get the idea. I watched as Gray tapped his chin, pretending to think deeply.

"I don't know, that's why it's spontaneous. Now come on," He announced, taking my hand again. He looked at me for confirmation, and I smiled the tiniest bit, as if to say 'it's fine', he blushed a bit and we exited the aquarium tour. I squeezed his hand tightly and we shared a quick smile before darting our eyes in opposite directions, scowling.

That's when I got an idea.

I immediately shivered at the mere thought of it, because it was so bad, but so, so good.

"I'm driving this time," I declared as we exposed ourself to the sunlight beams of the outside world. Gray looked extremely skeptical, but I didn't give him much of a choice when I barreled into the front seat before he could object. Grumbling to himself what was most like curse words, he took the passenger seat and tossed me the keys, the pointy end almost impaling my skin.