Chapter 22: The Man in the Black Suit

I rolled off of Ray, sweating. I rubbed my forehead. I was breathing hard, and we were both beet red.

We looked at each other, smiling.

I couldn't believe I'd just done that.

With Ray.

Oh my God.

It was incredible.

I knew I'd made a number of embarrassing noises, but it didn't stop either of us.

We'd ended up snuggling until we fell asleep, like in the movies.

When I woke up, Ray was still asleep. I sat up, covering my crotch with the comforter. I looked over at the mirror at my skinny form. I sometimes wondered if I was unhealthy, but it never came up for me to ask.

I sat there for a long time, just staring at myself.

Then I felt arms slide around my waist. Ray's lips touched my spine, my shoulder-blades, my shoulders, my neck. His kisses were so gentle that I could just barely feel them at all.

But they were there.

I lifted my chin up and admired where he had marked me last night. I had three love-marks on one side of my neck and one on the other. I had Ray beat with three and two.

I was his, and he was mine.

I held up my hand. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Mikey," Ray said. His breath warmed my cool skin.

And we had proved it last night.

I stood up and searched for my clothes. They were scattered all about the room; my pants were on the floor, shirt on the dresser, and boxers on the ceiling fan.

I had to stand up on the bed to get them.

I eventually had on my underwear, and then I just pulled on a pair of sweatpants. I didn't bother with my shirt, and instead shamelessly rooted through Ray's. I could practically feel him rolling his eyes behind me.

I tugged on one of his hoodies. When I turned around, I noticed that he was watching me and smiling.

He held out his arms and I dove into his lap. I could feel him laughing. I curled up against his chest, scrunching my face up happily.

He was so amazing.

There was no way my adoration and love for him could be broken at all.

I wrapped my arms around him, and he began gently rubbing my back. My hands were engulfed by the sleeves of his hoodie.

I hated that it was only because I was so thin.

Eventually, I decided that I wanted coffee. I dragged Ray into the kitchen behind me. I started up the machine, then turned around and gave him a surprise kiss.

"Aww, Mikes," Ray said. I grinned and pulled him forward to lean against him. He wrapped his arms around me, not protesting in the slightest.

When the coffee was finished brewing, Ray nudged me to let me know. I poured us each a cup and we sat down on the couch to watch crappy morning television together.

Wasn't this what married couples did?

Frank and Gerard woke up a little bit later, and Ray tensed up. I lightly squeezed his thigh to comfort him.

"So," Gerard said, leaning over the back of the couch with a sinister grin. "Did you two have fun last night?"

"Aww, fuck off!" Ray said, blushing madly.

"I was just asking a question!" Gerard defended, an innocent look on his face. I rolled my eyes, but I was blushing, too.

I mean, Ray and I didn't ask about his sex life, did we?

Granted, we didn't care.

But that wasn't the point.

Frank came over and handed Gerard a cup of coffee. Gerard kissed his head in thanks.

I liked it when it was peaceful around here.

We all hung out for a little while, just talking casually with each other. At around four, everyone looked at the door. I guessed someone was there.

"I'll get it," Gerard said.

I always followed people. Everywhere.

There was a man outside of our door. He was tall and handsome and young, and he was wearing a clean black suit.

"Is this the residence of the Way brothers?" he asked. Gerard and I exchanged glances.

"Uh, yeah," said my brother. "What of it?"

"My name is Robert Bernard, and I work for Caldwell and Co. We're working on a device that will allow the deaf to hear, and we were wondering if Michael would like to be a participant."

Everyone looked at each other, the same question brewing in our minds. Gerard was the first one to ask it. "How did you know Mikey's deaf?"

"Records," Bernard said simply. "Now, which one of you is Michael?"

I raised my hand timidly. "Right," Bernard said. "Would you be interested? You wouldn't have to pay anything, and if we get a device working, you can keep it. It's quite benefitial to all parties involved."

Gerard looked at Bernard, not letting him inside the dorm. "Now wait," he said. "How would Mikey even be involved in this? We have classes."

"It would be after classes, or on weekends," Bernard said. He was being unreasonably patient with my brother.

Gerard sighed and looked at me. "It's your decision, Mikey," he said.

Oh, I knew that much.

And I knew exactly how to play my cards.