Chapter 13: The New Ones

Gerard and I drove to the Starbucks, seeing scary things along the way. There were lots of downed power lines, tree branches were everywhere, and buildings were pitch dark.

"I don't like this," I signed. "Are you sure we should-" Gerard grabbed my hands and putting them back down in my lap. "We're going to be fine," he said, patting my hands. I sighed. I hoped he was right.

I may be deaf, but I wanted to live to see another day.

Plus, who wants to die in a Starbucks?

I was surprised to find myself in the parking lot alive. I followed my brother inside, and we found our friends in a corner. They were all in the exact state Gerard had described them in.

"Hey," Pete said. "We meant to text you, but we forgot. Point is, we met these two new guys."

"Cool," Gerard said. "What are their names?"

Pete blinked.

Gerard rolled his eyes. "So, how long is this storm supposed to last?" he asked. Pete shifted awkwardly. "Umm..."

It was my turn to roll my eyes. I tapped Gerard and signed, "Phone." He tugged his out of his pocket and handed it to me. I went into his web browser to check the weather. When it came up, I bit my lip.

"What's the matter?" Gerard asked. I showed him the screen and he sighed. It was only supposed to get worse, but it wasn't going to let up even a little bit for several hours.

"Are we stuck here?" I signed. My brother shrugged. "Unless you feel like riding around in that."

We all knew I didn't.

I felt arms around my neck and fell forward into the booth. I looked behind me and found Brendon there. I remembered Gerard telling me that he was hammered.

I rolled my eyes. I wasn't even able to read what he was saying, he was so drunk.

Gerard moved out of the way so that Ryan could come out of his corner and control his boyfriend. "Sorry about him," Ryan said. "He just... He can't hold his liquor." He gave me an apologetic smile, and I grinned.

Two guys came over to us, one with hair that reminded me of Ray's, and the other with a simply naturally bright face.

"Hey," said Ray's long lost brother. "Who're you?"

Pete introduced Gerard and me. "He's deaf," Pete said, poking my chest. I smiled and waved.

"That's cool," said Bright Eyes. "I'm Andy, and that's Joe. We go to the same college they do." He pointed at Patrick, who was eyeing Pete and Gerard.

Gerard slid into the booth beside me, and Pete followed him. Gerard and I exchanged glances, thinking the same thing.

"So," Pete said, leaning scarily close to my brother. "I guess we're all stuck here, huh?" Gerard nodded, scooting slightly closer to me. It didn't work; Pete only followed him. This continued until I was crammed into the corner. I was nearly in the next building over when Gerard grabbed me and pulled me into his lap so he could be against the wall. Pete gave us a strange look, but didn't question it.

"Put me down," I signed. Gerard pretended to think about it, then shook his head. I grabbed his ear and pulled, and he yelped.

"Put me down," I signed again. "No," he signed. I stuck my tongue out and he flicked it.

Eventually, I gave up. I crossed my arms and leaned back against his chest. I didn't watch his conversation with Pete. If he fucked up with Frank, that wasn't my problem. My main concern in that dorm was Ray.

But Gerard?

He was a fucking idiot.

But he was my brother.

I watched the conversation discreetly. I didn't want Gerard thinking I was being nosy. And I wasn't. I was helping him.

I wished I'd known how much he'd need it.

~

"No!" I signed. "You're stupid! It is not my fault you-"

Gerard smacked my hands down painfully, and I tackled him. Gerard tried to fight me off, and we just ended up on the floor.

I felt someone grab me, but I struggled to get free. I wanted to beat my brother until he admitted that he was stupid and that he'd fucked up.

I saw Frank kneel down beside him, and I bit my lip so hard I tasted blood. If only he knew...

I turned around and looked at Ray. He looked concerned. "What happened, Mikey?" he asked. He squeezed my arms. "You can tell me anything."

I nodded. "I know," I signed. For some reason, I felt like crying. If Frank found out what had happened, all Hell would break loose in the dorm. Then what? What would happen to me and Ray?

Ray seemed to read my mind. He wrapped me in a gentle hug. I buried my face in his shoulder, breathing him in. He slowly led me over to the couch. We sat down, Ray cradling me in his lap. I didn't cry, but it felt like I couldn't.

After a while, I looked up. Frank and Gerard had disappeared into the bedroom.

"What's the matter?" Ray asked. I looked down at my hands and shrugged.

"It's okay," he said. "You don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to." I nodded, grateful that he was so understanding.

He leaned forward and kissed my forehead. "Thank you," I signed. He smiled and nodded.

I laid back down, resting my head on Ray's chest. I could hear his heartbeat through his shirt. I could smell that scent I loved; cologne and fabric softener.

It wasn't creepy if I could identify both brands by now, was it?

AN: Hi, guys! Yes, I am back! My depression has gotten loads better in a surprisingly short amount of time. However, I have a busy week ahead, so updates might be a little slow. But after that, I have a six day weekend, so I should be on here to update.

Much Love! XOXO, E