A Choice

Skye's heart threatened to explode. He could expose Rove for his crimes and finally be free. He could show these pictures to the authorities patrolling the market. Rove could get locked up. Skye could be free.

What would be do? Stay in the Hives? He had heard about a jungle to the north of the continent, but it could be dangerous. What about the SilkWings who had come by his stall? Cresent had seemed friendly, but Eggfly looked like he might kill him and hang him on a wall. No, that was too risky. As was turning to Mite; Rove could find out at any moment. 

He turned to look out the window, to get a better view of his world, but instead saw clouds of smoke winding up from a collapsing Bloodworm Hive. My old home... He could see dragons flying away, some carrying SilkWing dragonets and eggs. Quite a lot of silk bridge came down too, and dragons were panicking, many of the SilkWings trying to re-build the bridges.

Without knowing it, Rove had saved both himself and Skye, by moving to another Hive right before Bloodworm Hive was burnt down. Did he burn it himself? Or did he plan something... Skye shook his head. Rove couldn't have done anything, he was right in the house the whole time.

Skye dismissed the thought, tucked the frame and the papers under his blanket, then carried it all to the door.

"Where are you going?" Rove demanded.

"To the stall," Skye said, his voice suggesting his master might have forgotten.

"What's the blanket for?" he said.

Skye was sure Rove could hear his beating heart. "My talons get tired sometimes, it would be good to have something soft to stand on."

"Don't get it dirty."

Skye dipped his head and flew out, slowly and surely planning his escape.

A/N: Sorry for short chapter!