Chapter Ten

*~*~*~*

feel the rain on your skin

no one else can feel it for you

only you can let it in

no one else no one else

can speak the words on your lips

drench yourself in words unspoken

live your life with arms wide open

today is where your book begins

the rest is still unwritten

*~*~*~*

Jerrika Hinton as Nurse Stephanie

*~*~*~*

March 30, 2009

Two point three years.

Twenty-eight months.

Eight hundred and fifty-one days.

That was how long it had been since Beckett and her loved ones had been greeted with the news from Dr. Malick after she had completed a final round of chemo following her surgery. The news that the, at the time, newly turned fifteen year old was in remission. Or, as her family liked to call it, 'cancer free.'

Nearly two and a half years without any chemotherapy, radiation, or surgery. Her once bald head was once again filled with slightly curly locks that reached her jaw. She had put some of her weight back on and her lips were no longer constantly chapped. Amid all of the changes only one thing did stay the same-- she didn't go back to school.

Throughout the course of her treatment she managed to get ahead in her coursework-- a full year ahead. So while many students her age were struggling through their junior year and just starting to look at possible colleges, Beckett had already sent in various applications and was counting down the days until she was officially a high school graduate. Though this decision was much to the displeasure of her grandmother, the older woman having argued with Holland about forcing the teenager to go back to Westerville Central. Holland had stood her ground though. acknowledging that her daughter no longer felt comfortable among her former classmates. Beckett didn't want to be stared at or whispered about or labeled 'the cancer girl' and Holland respected that.

"Well long time no see." Beckett was snapped out of her thoughts by a familiar voice. Her dark eyes flickered up from the notebook in her hands, it being littered with random notes and scribbles, to find none other than Stephanie standing a few feet in front of her. A large smile filled the nurse's lips as she stood there in her purple scrubs, her thick dark curls pulled up in a fluffy ponytail.