Chapter Nineteen

*~*~*~*

for a shield from the storm

for a friend, for a love to keep me safe and warm

i turn to you for the strength

to be strong for the will to carry on

for everything you do i turn to you

*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*

November 25, 2014

Late.

Beck found herself rushing around her apartment like a chicken with its head cut off that Tuesday morning. The space was quiet with the exception of her hurried footsteps and occasional muttered swears, Thayne having left for Utah the morning before. What Beck hadn't noticed with her friend's departure was that he had turned off her alarm clock before he left in hopes of tricking the woman into relaxing.

But relaxation was the last thing on Beck's mind as she scrambled about the apartment. She was in the process of trying to tug on a pair of sneakers when there was a knock on the front door. Her brows furrowed in confusion while Meeko's head perked up from where the dog had been sprawled out across the couch. The Starr woman finished tugging on her shoes before heading towards the door, now in the process of trying to pull her hair up into a messy bun with one hand.

"What are you doing here?" Beck questioned when she opened the door to see who was standing in the hallway.

"Hello to you too," Anthony snorted in amusement. The woman only rolled her eyes as she headed back into the apartment to finish getting ready. The Ramos man didn't hesitate to follow after her, closing the door behind himself along the way. "What's up with you?"

"I'm late," she told him. "Apparently Thayne thought it'd be hilarious to turn off my alarm when he left. I was supposed to be at the bakery over an hour ago. So talk fast."

"About that," he quickly snatched the woman's keys off the kitchen counter before she could move to get them herself. "You're not going to work today."

"Yes, I am." She scowled at the sight of him tossing her keys back and forth in his hands. Though despite her own irritation, she couldn't help but think about him doing the same thing with his baseball when they were younger.

"No, you're not," he shook his head. "Bakery's closed for the day."

"It's two days before Thanksgiving, Anthony. The bakery can't be closed today," she tried to get through to him. "Now give me my keys. I gotta go."