Chapter Fifteen

*~*~*~*

i don't wanna be left behind

distance was a friend of mine

catching breath in a web of lies

i've spent most of my life

riding waves, playing acrobat

shadowboxing the other half

learning how to react

i've spent most of my time

catching my breath letting it go

turning my cheek for the sake of this show

now that you know this is my life

i won't be told what's supposed to be right

*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*

June 27, 2014

Despite the clear awkwardness that seemed to radiate between Beck and Anthony throughout the night, the dinner wasn't as terrible as the Starr woman had expected it to be. After their initial awkward interaction, the others had taken it upon themselves keep conversation flowing throughout the entire dinner. Daveed, Oak, and Emmy found Beck easy to talk to about whatever came to mind while Jasmine, Sydney, and Carleigh fell into a natural groove with Anthony (just like they always did at rehearsals). By the time the checks had been paid and everyone started to filter back out into the New York street, Beck and Anthony had hardly said ten words to one another.

"It was great seeing you again," Jasmine gave Beck a tight hug as everyone started to say their goodbyes for the night. "We should get together again soon. Maybe a girl's night out or something?"

"Sounds like fun," Beck agreed as they broke apart. "I gave you my number earlier so just text me whenever. I'll make sure Delia is free that night too."

"Perfect." Jasmine grinned as a pair of arms wrapped around the other woman from behind, lifting her clear off her feet in the process.

"Put me down, Diggs!" Beck groaned as she caught sight of the man's floofy hair from the corner of her eye. Her words were only greeted by deep chuckles from both Daveed and Oak before the former finally set her back on her feet. She stumbled slightly at first, the drinks she had at dinner forcing her to grab ahold of Daveed's arm to steady herself. "Fuck you."