Chapter Fourteen

*~*~*~*

i can hold my breath

i can bite my tongue

i can stay awake for days

if that's what you want

be your number one

i can fake a smile

i can force a laugh

i can dance and play the part

if that's what you ask

give you all i am

*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*

June 27, 2014

A thin layer of sweat coated Beck as she slipped out of the hot summer heat and into the cool air conditioned apartment building after finishing her run. Music poured from her earbuds as she headed towards the stairs, offering some of the other tenants small nods in greeting as they passed one another in the lobby. As she went she chose to ignore the way the older gentleman that lived on the fourth floor stared at her a little too long for her liking. Just his lingering gaze made her skin crawl, leading to her regretting only wearing leggings and sports bra for her run.

She took the stairs two at a time until she reached her floor, pulling her key from the small pocket in the waistband of her leggings. However, she quickly realized that she didn't need the key when she found the apartment door unlocked.

"Thayne?" Beck called out as she slipped inside, kicking her sneakers off by the door while also taking out her earbuds.

"And your two favorite people!" The familiar voice of the one and only Jonathan Groff filled Beck's ears in place of the music. The woman's dark eyes flickered towards the living room to find her roommate seated with the former Glee star as well as Lin.

"Two favorite people?" Beck arched a brow at the Groff man as Meeko came hurrying around the corner to her owner, her tail wagging widely behind her. Beck smiled at the mutt as she knelt down to rub her hand up and down the dog's spine. "So nice of you to know where you stand compared to Lin and Meeko, Jonathan."

"I don't like her." Jonathan frowned as he turned his attention to Thayne, both of them ignoring the chuckles coming from the Miranda man and Starr woman. "Can we take her back to the shelter and trade her for a nicer woman?"