Dawson Helps Out/Meeting Basil

Chapter 2: Dawson Helps Out/Meeting Basil

Third Person POV

Outside the Flaversham's Toyshop, it was pouring. Good thing Olivia and the girl-turned mouse wore coats in case their clothes got drenched. All of a sudden, a newspaper blew away in their direction. Kaitlin caught it and handed it to the little girl. Olivia tore out the article that read: FAMOUS DETECTIVE SOLVES BAFFLING DISAPPEARANCE! That was just what they needed. "We'll use it to find out about Basil," Kaitlin told her.

Olivia put the article in her coat pocket.

Kaitlin grabbed an umbrella and put it over Olivia and herself. "Good thinking, Kaitlin," Olivia complimented.

"Oh, and when I said I wanted a little sister, I meant it," Kaitlin said with a wink.

"You did? How lovely."

The girls searched in vain for Olivia's father until they decided to seek shelter because the rain was getting their clothes all soaky. "Look, Olivia! There's a boot!" Kaitlin shouted and the two of them started for the boot. Kaitlin flattened her umbrella before heading inside with Olivia.

"Kaitlin, what if we never find Daddy?" Olivia asked sadly as the two sat on the empty liver pills box.

"No, Olivia, it's okay," Kaitlin assured her, "We'll find him and I promised to protect you and I will keep that promise. He told me in case he doesn't see me again that I should protect you at all costs." She recalled those words Hiram said before and used them to her advantage. She knew very well that promises should be kept.

Olivia cried in Kaitlin's arms and Kaitlin wrapped her arms around her to comfort her. Hugging Olivia was one of the things Kaitlin wanted to do if she was sucked into the movie. Kaitlin had never been inside a boot before neither had she ever been shrunk and turned into a mouse.

While Kaitlin was busy consoling Olivia, they didn't hear another mouse say, "Oh, my." The same mouse who spoke those words wore a dark brown coat, bowler hat, which was the same color as his coat, dark grey shoes, lavender trousers, and was carrying an umbrella. He also said to bring their attention, "Are you alright, my dears?"

The girl mice turned their heads to the elderly mouse.

"Come, come, come, here, here. Dry your eyes," he instructed the females, offering each of them a tissue.

Olivia and Kaitlin blew their noses and returned their tissues back to the old man mouse. "Now, that's better. So tell me, what's troubling you, my dears?"

Olivia sniffled. "I..." she corrected herself, realizing another female was with her, "We're lost and we're trying to find Basil of Baker Street." With that, she took out the article from her coat pocket and gave it to the gentleman.

"Well, let me see here," the old man said and started to read, "Famous Detective Solves Baffling Disappearance."

The baffling disappearance must be Olivia's father! Kaitlin thought.

"But where are your mother and father?" the elderly mouse continued.

"T-that's why we m-must find Basil!" Olivia cried as she broke down in tears yet again.

"There, there, there! Now, now, now!" he said, trying to calm her, "I don't know any Basil."

Olivia looked up at him with her puppy eyes and Kaitlin's eyes looked just as pleading. This caught the doctor's attention and he smiled saying, "But I do remember where Baker Street is."

Olivia's and Kaitlin's eyes lit up and they hopped off the empty liver pills box. "Now come with me," he urged. "We'll find this Basil chap together." And the two followed him.