The Rat Trap

Here's the bar scene and my OC will perform in this chapter. I hope you enjoy it! This might be the longest chapter, but you'll find out because the next one might be just as long.

Chapter 11: The Rat Trap

Third Person POV

At the riverfront, where The Rat Trap bar stood, mist surrounded the area while ships stayed anchored on the river and moderate waves splashed. On top of the docks, stood Toby, who wagged his tail as he watched his master and pal descend on their way to the bar.

"Stay, Toby. Stay," Basil commanded in a whisper.

Underneath the docks, a male mouse walking towards the bar, was wearing an ocean-blue sailor coat, matching his sailor hat, and pants, black shoes, and a magenta turtleneck.

"Uh, Basil," said Dawson, who was in the shadows.

The figure in blue turned around, revealing to be Basil, who had a fake mustache and carried a unlit cigarette. Taking the cigarette out of his mouth, he motioned for him to follow him and said, "Come, come, Dawson."

"I feel utterly ridiculous," complained Dawson as he stepped out of the shadows and came into the light. He wore a purple hat, an eyepatch to cover his right eye, a small striped pink and red shirt, dark purple pants with a belt and yellow buckle, and a gold hooped earring on his right ear.

"Don't be absurd. You look perfect," Basil assured him.

"Perfect?" Dawson asked in an annoyed voice as he pulled down his shirt, but his belly was exposed. "Perfectly foolish!"

Basil shushed him while he had the cigarette back in his mouth and opened the door with Dawson close behind him. In the pub, happy music was playing.

The room was somewhat smokey due to shady-looking members smoking cigars or cigarettes. Many tables were scattered here and there with people gambling, drinking, smoking, murmuring, chatting, and grumbling. At the very end of the pub was a stage with red curtains.

On stage was an octopus happily juggling colorful balls as the pianist played a merry tune. On the bottom right beside the stage was a mouse pianist playing the piano to go with the octopus's happy-go-lucky state. However, not everyone was interested in watching the octopus playing because they were too busy drinking, smoking, playing darts, chatting, gambling, and murmuring. The barmaid flirted with one of her customers when one customer puckered one of his lips, making smooching noises, but the barmaid punched him, sending him flying off his chair with a grunt.

"Dawson," Basil said, striking a match to light up his cigarette and tossed the burnt match away. Taking a puff of smoke, he exhaled a puff of smoke, adding, "Stay close and do as I do."

Basil placed his hands in his pockets and Dawson followed.

A bartender washed a pint glass until he noticed two mice and raised an eyebrow at them. Basil gave the bar keeper a slight wave with his left finger. Dawson did the same, but with a crabby expression on his face.

Every thug or gangster gave the two a suspicious look in their eyes, but the two paid no attention to them.

As Basil and Dawson continued to walk, a dagger was flung in front of Dawson's feet, making Dawson back away and hit a chair, where a woman was sitting. The woman had red hair and a green dress. She regarded him with annoyance.

Dawson took his hat off, apologizing, "Oh, I do your pardon, madam. Quite unintentional I-" He was interrupted by a woman blowing a puff of smoke in his face, causing Dawson to cough, concluding, "I assure you." As Dawson continued coughing, the lady and the men she was sitting with laughed rudely at him.