Secrets Revealed and Escapes

I've added a villain song in this chapter and just wait and find out what it is. Thus, I was going to have this chapter in the previous chapter, but I didn't want readers getting confused, so I made a fresh new one.

Chapter 9: Secrets Revealed and Escapes

Kaitlin's POV

I still hated Ratigan for being the culprit of the heroes' misfortunes, especially at the toyshop, where he made Fidget do all the dirty work and ambushed Olivia. Plus, the fact that Ratigan almost killed the good people (which I'll get to later) and how he treated his henchman.

When I got to Ratigan's office, I knocked on his door. I was lucky Fidget didn't wake up to snitch on me because as Ratigan said and I quote, "No, let her come to me; I don't want any damage done to her." Ratigan wasn't my favorite person to go to, but I'll admit that sometimes I believed that what Ratigan said to Basil is true sometimes since Ratigan is a polite villain, whereas Basil was the rude hero. This time, Basil was going to have something to really feel sorry about and as such, I was going to make sure of that.

"Come in," a male voice said and I knew just who it was, so I opened it and looked at my surroundings and at Mr. Flaversham, thinking to myself, I'll escape and save you and your daughter, I promise. "Come in, my dear girl. We mustn't lurk about in doorways." Ratigan stood up from his chair. "It's rude. One might question your upbringing."

I closed the door behind me, not because he was wrong, but because he was right.

"Where's your detective friend?" Ratigan asked.

"Basil's not my friend anymore," I said with pure hatred with the person who upset me.

"Because he became selfish!" Ratigan finished for me.

"Oh, yes, sir," I said.

"I thought so; he walked out on me years ago."

"Wow! That must've really hurt!"

"Have a seat, child," Ratigan commanded and I did. "Now, then. You're here because you've been taking care of the Flavershams and do anything to protect them; not that I blame you. They are a wonderful pair as father and daughter, aren't they?"

I nodded in agreement. How did he know that? Man, he's good!

"Oh, I know that look. You're wondering how I know you."

"I am."

"My pretty bird right here has been watching you," Ratigan explained to me, as if reading my thoughts and showing me his common blackbird.

I looked into his bird's eyes to see what he meant. "I see."

"Now then, Princess, the solution to your problem is simple; the only way to get what you want is to become a prisoner yourself."

I gasped in surprise, not just because he was doing me a favor, but he called me a princess, which I was touched by. "Can you do that?" I asked.

"My dear girl, that's what I do," replied Ratigan, "It's what I LIVE for; helping protective and hardworking folks like YOURSELF; poor souls with no one else to turn to." Then he began to sing me a song.

I admit that in the past I've been a nasty.

They weren't kidding when they called me, well, a wretch.

But you'll find that nowadays,

I've mended all my ways,

Repented, seen the light, and made a stretch.