Is it Really Over?

Before I start, I'd like to say my OC is in the papers with Basil and Dawson. Thanks for pointing that out, Carlisle Fan 22.

Chapter 18: Is it Really Over?

Kaitlin's POV

The next night after spending quality time at Buckingham Palace with Basil, Dawson, Olivia, and Hiram, it was the day we bade our goodbyes to the detectives. On top of Basil's fireplace, I saw a picture of myself with Basil and Dawson being congratulated by Queen Mousetoria in The Illustrated London Mouse. Newspaper articles included Queen Honors Detective, Queen Praises Detective Basil, Medal to Be Given, and Time Runs Out for Ratigan (which replaced the portrait of Ratigan).

"To be thanked by the Queen, herself," said Dawson, feeling praised and sighed. "How very thrilling. Eh, Basil?"

Basil grinned, overjoyed that he finally stopped Ratigan and placed the bell he snatched from Ratigan next to the papers. "All in a day's work, Doctor," Basil replied with honor, knowing he achieved his goal.

There I was, back in my red dress with tan sleeves with slight tan on my skirt. I put on my red coat and hat along with my light red scarf that had black lines. Plus, my necklace was safely tucked under my scarf. Mr. Flaversham wore a blue bowler hat with a trench coat, and a red necktie. Olivia was back in her signature blue coat and scarf, while holding her tam-o-shanter hat.

"Oh, Dr. Dawson, you were wonderful," Olivia said sweetly.

Dawson, feeling touched by what she said, laughed wholeheartedly.

Olivia, Hiram, and I brought Basil a special gift. "Here, Basil," I said, "Olivia, Hiram, and I would like you to have this."

"For what?" Basil asked, "There's no need to-"

"Come on, we insist," I cut him off with a smirk, "After all, you did help us." I handed him the present.

Basil took the gift and unwrapped it. "Why, it's a new violin!" he exclaimed cheerfully and started to play.

"To replace your old one," I said.

"Be careful with this one," Olivia advised.

Basil stopped playing and placed it beside his red chair.

"Indeed," Mr. Flaversham said with a warm smile and checked his pocket watch with a worried expression. "Oh, my! We are late to catch our train! Come along, Olivia and Kaitlin!"

"Yes, father," said Olivia.

"Just a second," I added.

Olivia hugged Basil, which I found cute. "Goodbye, Basil," the young girl said and sniffled as she was about to cry. "I...I'll never forget you."

Basil gently broke his embrace with her and looked her in the eye. "Nor I you," he said, "Miss...Miss Flangerhanger."

Olivia gave him a stunned look and grinned as she shook her head, knowing he was joking. Then she shifted her gaze to Dawson, who chuckled. I covered my mouth to stifle a giggle.

"Whatever," Dawson said.

"I will never forget you, either, Mr. Basil," I said to Basil.

"Nor shall I, Miss Kaitlin," the detective said to me.

"Goodbye Doctor Dawson," Olivia said as she placed her hat on her head.

"Goodbye my dears," Dawson said, patting her head and watching us depart.

"See you later, Doc," I said.

Olivia stood beside the front door to give the men a final look. "Goodbye," she whispered and off we went to follow Mr. Flaversham after closing the door.