Earning Trust

I don't know how many chapters I'm going to have for this story, but once it's completed, you'll know. Like I said in the previous chapter, this isn't over yet. Maybe three more chapters after this and done.

Chapter 20: Earning Trust

Kaitlin's POV

Like anyone else, I thought Fidget came back to ruin our lives and trick us. I wasn't sorry for what I said to him and besides, I shouldn't have tried to save his life when he could throw me and Olivia overboard like the coward he was. I NEVER should've trusted him. Sure, Ratigan used him, but that was no excuse. Fidget's dead to me! He had to accept his guilt. Although what Basil, Olivia, Hiram, and I said sounded harsh, that needed to be said, anyway.

Olivia stomping on Fidget's foot and calling him an ugly, old thing out of frustration made me feel better because to me, that was just good for him; he needed to be stirred up. I couldn't feel sorry for Fidget and why should I? I don't see why I should. He tried to kill us; he brought this on himself.

If he was taken hostage, then he'll have something to really be sorry about and it'll just serve him right. It would teach him to realize how much he needed us and what he did to us was wrong.

I was just so stupid and naive to believe Fidget could redeem and become our friend. Just when I thought he was a good person, since he was betrayed, I wasn't going to get hurt again. I'm taking precautions and keeping my heart guarded from the likes of him. He doesn't deserve to have any friends. He wants me so bad, but he can't have me. If he despises me, that's fine. If my friendship with Fidget is truly over, that's okay with me, too. Maybe Fidget does belong to Ratigan. Fidget's selfish and I'm sure as heck that I'd be a better friend for Olivia than him. With her and nice people by my side, I have nothing left to lose.

If Fidget was telling the truth about his apology, then I'd need a good long while to accept it.

Fidget's POV

I don't know if I should try again. I really hurt Kaitlin, Basil, and many others. I'm just as insensitive as Basil and what's worse, I'm no different from Ratigan. If anyone wants to be done with me, then fine. I don't care anymore. I've ruined everything!

If I was put in a bottle or tied up to a mouse trap, I am willing to accept my fate because I'm a bad person and I don't deserve any friends. I've done horrible things and Ratigan betrayed me. I've been selfish, ignorant, and foolish. I should've seen what that rat could do to me. I trusted him and look where it got me: I almost DIED! I couldn't leave him, even if I wanted to because of his cat.

Where will I go? What am I going to do now? What if Ratigan comes back? If I wouldn't have disrespected others, none of this would've happened.

Kaitlin's a better friend for the little girl, not me and she treats her better than I do. If I could take back what I've done, I would, but I can't because I had my chance and blew it! I was jealous and I had no excuse!

I need to earn their trust somehow, but how? There's only one way to find out.

Third Person POV

The same night Kaitlin and the others confronted Fidget, Basil, Dawson, Olivia, Hiram, and the girl-turned mouse did their best to take their mind off the peg legged bat. However, if they were to meet him again, it would take them a good long while to forgive him as soon as he earns their trust.

The next day, Kaitlin watched as Mr. Flaversham mended a broken ballerina doll he made for Olivia since Ratigan was the one who broke it. When finished, the toy was good as new.