Tied Down/Trouble at Buckingham Palace

Chapter 13: Tied Down/Trouble at Buckingham Palace

Kaitlin's POV

I woke up from my second knockout to find myself tied to a wooden post in a sitting position with my scarf wrapped around my neck, but I wasn't choking, thankfully. My wrists were tied behind my back with my coat sleeves. Such a clever rat, I thought sarcastically. Luckily, I was right next to Olivia, who was standing helplessly in the bottle, but sad to say that my necklace was stolen from me.

I watched as Ratigan's gang tied Basil and Dawson with thick ropes to a mousetrap. I heard the sound of rising metal as the snapping mechanism was pulled below Basil's and Dawson's feet. It was Ratigan's strong thugs.

"You don't know what a delightful dilemma it was trying to decide on the most appropriate method for your demise," Ratigan said to Basil and Dawson, but mostly to Basil, who hadn't had the courage to stand up to Ratigan at this rate.

Dawson shifted his gaze at Basil's blank face. Fidget gently set the triggering mechanism in place and winced as it jiggled, fearing it'd spring out at any second and Dawson closed his eyes at this. However, the device was stabilized as Dawson opened his eyes and Fidget left with a smile, finished with his task.

"I had so many ingenious ideas, I didn't know which to choose." Ratigan was overwhelmed by the choices he used to kill the detectives. He leaned in towards Basil, with an evil smirk, "So, I decided to use them all."

"Wow, good for you," I said sarcastically as I rolled my eyes, obviously unenthusiastic. "Pathetic."

The duo was surrounded by the deadly weapons pointed at them in the room. An anvil was hanging over their heads. On the left of them, an axe was held up to them. A crossbow, pointing at them along with a pistol.

"Marvelous, isn't it?" Ratigan let out a hearty chuckle, showing the duo his ingenious plot to kill them. "But here, let me show you how it works." He turned away from them to motion his hands in picture frame style. "Picture this."

I scoffed. "Gaston." Ratigan paid no attention to me, but that was fine because he was talking about his plan to kill people. He was attracted to me as Gaston was to Belle.

"First, a sprightly tune I've recorded especially for you."

Next to the human-sized record player above stood Fidget bowing politely as the rat continued his plan, "As the song plays, the cord tightens..." Fidget shifted the needle forward slightly, displaying the rope that was tied to it and the other half was tied to a apparatus that held a black metal ball, and his boss explained the transit of the ball, "And when the song ends, the metal ball is released, rolling along its merry way until..."

Dawson scowled at the professor and I did the same.

"SNAP!" Ratigan clapped his hands together demonstrating the result of the mousetrap. "BOOM!" He gestured to the pistol. "TWANG!" Motioning to the crossbow and arrow. "THUNK!" Shooting his arm down showing the axe. Concluding with the anvil levitating above them, "SPLAT!"

Dawson cringed at the thought of being soon-to-be killed by those objects. I gasped in shock.

Ratigan took off his tophat and placed it over his heart. "And so ends the short, undistinguished, career of Basil of Baker Street."

Basil sighed emotionlessly.

"You're despicable!" Dawson spat hotly.

"Yes," Ratigan snickered at his words.

"And evil!" I snapped at the rat.

"Kaitlin, Kaitlin, Kaitlin," Ratigan said, mockingly as he advanced, "When will you ever learn to let go of those you love?"