Chapter 21: Simon

The warm air hit my face as I walked through the school building. It was a relief the from the cold breezes that I felt. Winter was my least favorite season, but hey, at least break was in a few weeks. School was getting a bit tiring.

Pushing past chattering students, I sniffed as I scanned the hallway for any of my friends. I should've gone straight to class but I just wanted to see at least one of my friends before heading to class. I saw Chance in the corner of my eye and quickly went over to him.

"Hey, Simon. You're late. That's unusual." He said nonchalantly.

"Heh. Yeah, it is. You're late too, y'know."

"Rough morning. Did you see Quinn? Or Jasper or Felix?" He asked, strolling with me to our first class, English.

"Nah, they're probably all in class now." I said as we took a left. A couple more turns and we were in English.

"Simon. Chance. You're late. Sit down." Ms. Reynolds said, ushering us into the classroom. I caught a glimpse of Jasper's face from across the room. We made eye contact before I quickly sat down two seats in front of him. And for some reason, a mental picture of his face was stuck in my mind for the rest of class. I wondered why..

•••

The bell rang and I walked out of the classroom and into the hallway. I had just had art class, which was third period. I was exceptionally good at art. Although it wasn't something I did all the time. I had managed to learn to draw well.

I was going to lunch now. Somehow, Jasper appeared next to me. He put his hand on my shoulder which sent tingles throughout my body. I looked to the right of my to see his warm smile. The sight gave me an indescribable feeling. I didn't recognize this one.

What is this?

"You were late this morning. That's weird." He said.

"Yeah. I slept late. Forgot to set my alarm. I was pretty tired after we went to the skating rink yesterday but I still wanted to stay up. Guess it came back to bite me."

"I hate when that happens. Which is why I have back up alarms." He said triumphantly.

"Smart." I replied.

"Not as smart as you." He winked.

Normally, I would have smiled and kept it moving. But I felt different this time. I savored the compliment.

We finally made it to lunch. The rest of the friend group was already there, anyways. Plus Carrie. She'd become closer to us since she started talking to Felix. She was really nice. Her eyes twinkled as she gazed at Felix, who was eating a cookie. I sat down, while Jasper sat down next to me. He played with his thumbs, looking down.

"Hey, Simon. Isn't your birthday in a couple weeks?" Quinn asked, pointing their fork at me while eating spaghetti.

"Yep." I said. "I'll be turning sixteen."

"Do you ever have birthday parties?" Carrie asked, with Felix looking at her as soon as she spoke.

"Well, not anymore. I think the last one I had was when I turned eleven." I took out Pocky from my lunchbox and munched on it.

"Oh, I remember that one." Chance laughed. "Your mom showed everyone pictures of when you were a baby." He scooted closer to Quinn, who noticed and smiled.

"Yeah. He had the chubbiest cheeks." Felix snickered, pinching his cheeks.

"He must have been pretty cute." Jasper said, looking down and smiling.

"Oh, shut up, guys." I said with Pocky in my mouth. But I could feel my cheeks getting hot.