Chapter 28: Jasper

Okay, there was definitely something going on with Simon. No doubt. The way he looks at me, he doesn't look at anyone else that way. I swear to it. And when I caught him, I tried not to show it, but I really, really wanted to kiss him. I know there was something there. His face.. there had to be something there.

We were going to French now. Felix and Carrie went in, laughing. As I was about to enter the classroom, I heard a voice behind me. A hand softly touched my back.

"I know you still feel something for me." He whispered.

Simon.

Shit.

It sent chills down my spine as he passed me. I froze, staring at him. He had a straight face. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. I felt a mixture of confusion, embarrassment, irritation and.. want. I shouldn't want him, he didn't want me back.. or did he?

The school announcements came on as I sat down. Simon sat two seats away from me.

"Students!" The principal exclaimed in a cheerful voice. "Don't forget that the winter dance is the last day before break. That's next week from now!"

A thought of me slow dancing with him popped into my mind, put I slowly pushed it out.

Don't think about it, Jasper.

But how can I not think about it when he's right there?

All through French class we stared at each other. It was like something was pulling us together.

•••

The bell rang. I rushed out of the classroom, thoughts of him still swarming my mind. I walked to the front of the school quickly, feeling overwhelmed. I breathed in and out as I stepped onto the grass. Before I could take another step, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I whipped around in fear that it was Simon, but it was Felix's face that I saw.

He winced. "Jeez, what are you so on your toes for?" He questioned.

I sighed. "I thought you were-"

"He thought you were me."

Oh god. Him again.

I turned my head to see Simon. He was smirking. I wanted to die. Was he fucking with me? Did he enjoy this? Seeing me all flustered? He told me he didn't like me so why was he being like this? What the hell?

"Um-" I began. But Vincent saved me from dealing with any more embarrassment at the last minute.

"Hey, Jasper. Dad said he'll be a little early today. He texted me." He grabbed my arm and dragged me to the sidewalk.

"Thanks." I sighed.

"I think he likes you." He teased.

"W-what? No! He told me-"

"He may have changed his mind. I see the way he looks at you. I pass you guys in the hallways occasionally."

"Well.." I rubbed my neck. "I guess the way he looks at me is kind of.. wanting. We couldn't stop staring at each other today." I admitted.

He giggled. "Oh, now this is rich. You guys are in love." He sung.

"Shut up, Vincent." I said, my body feeling hot. I looked at Simon, who was standing about forty feet away from us. He was talking to Felix, Carrie, Chance and Quinn.

"Heh. Alright."

My dad pulled up a few minutes later.

"Hey! Get in." He said.

We got in the car.

"How was school?" He asked.

Everything that had happened today ran through my mind.

"Okay, just tiring." I said.

"Okay. And you Vincent?" He looked at the rear mirror, sniffing.

"It was good."

"Good."

The rest of the car ride was comfortably silent.

•••

I sat in my room, watching "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." A classic. Sure, it wasn't Christmas yet, but it would be soon. Might as well get in the spirit.

I finished the movie and turned the T.V. off. My mind was a deep hole, with new thoughts falling in every two seconds.

I went downstairs. My dad sat at the dining table scrolling through his phone.

"Dad." I said, standing across from him. Nervousness took over.

He looked up from his phone and scratchdd his beard. "Hm?"

"I need to tell you something." I adjusted my glasses.

"What is it?"

"I'm gay."

He stared at me, putting his phone on the table. He sighed.

"That's okay." He said, standing up. "Come here."

I walked over to him and he gave me a hug. I sighed softly in relief. He released me.

"Thank you." I said.

He nodded and sat back down. As I turned around to go back to my room, he stopped me.

"Jasper?"

I turned around. "Yes?"

"Is it, that kid, Simon?" He teased. I blushed, slapping my forehead.

"Dad.." I groaned.

He held his hands up. "Heh. Just asking."

I turned around feeling embarrassed, but at the same time, relieved. A small smile appeared on my face.