𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓: ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ꜰɪʀᴇᴅ

Jack looked at those red, puffy and watery eyes.

"Arthur..."

When his name left her lips, the man practically throw himself to hug her. At such a weight, Jack grunt in pain.

The eldest of the shelbys backed away as if he had been burned.

"Oh God, I'm so sorry. Are you okay? Does it hurt?" Arthur panicked "Bloody hell, lie down, lie down. Be careful, don't hurt yourself" He said as he laid Jack down and placed the pillows "Are you thirsty? Do you want water? Well of course you are thirsty, you've been asleep for six days" Arthur ran for the glass of water on the table.

Jack's eyes widened 'Six days ?!' She thought.

"Arthur-"

The shelby interrupted her bringing the glass of water to Jack's lips "Here, you have to hydrate yourself" Jack quickly drank the water that the man gave him.

"Arthur! Calm down! I'm fine" She said stopping him with her hand.

Arthur smiled and breath deeply as he sat down on the bed next to her "Yes, I'm sorry, it's just ..." He sighed "I've been so scared Jack. I've never been so scared of losing someone" He looked at his hands as he fiddled with them "Not even in that bloody war"

Jack smiled sweetly and took Arthur's hands "You're not going to lose me. Bad pennys always turn up, don't they?" She tried to joke "Come here"

Jack spread her arms and she and Arthur hugged.

Thomas was coming up the stairs to the second floor, he heard footsteps and had assumed that Jack had woken up.

The gangster didn't quite know what he was going to say. Maybe a 'what's up?' or a 'how are you?' or maybe an 'I love you'.

Thomas snorted remembering how scared he had been at the thought of losing Jack, the woman he liked.

He had never believed in God but maybe this was a sign.
A sign that he should stick his head out of his butt and tell her what he had been feeling for a while, who knows, even starting a new thing together.

Upstairs, Thomas quickly crossed the landing until he reached the door, the third door on the right.

He inhaled, yes, he was going to. He had to tell Jack. Thomas thought that after so many years he deserved a bit of happiness and was sure that Jack was going to be the one to give it to him.

He smiled weakly, reaffirming his ideas and raised his strong hands to grasp the doorknob.

He moved it and opened the door ... oh...

Thomas's smile disappeared from his face and he noticed how all his illusions were shattered.

'Of couse' He rolled his eyes.

Jack was hugging another man. His brother.

'Of course Arthur, it's always Arthur' He thought.

Why was she hugging him? It was him who saved her, not his older brother! It was him who stayed next to her bed without eating or sleeping for days! It should be him she should be hugging!

Thomas pursed his lips as he tightened his grip on the doorknob. He cleared his throat, cutting off the father-daughter moment.

Jack and Arthur parted ways. The Irish looked at Thomas in surprise, she did not expect to see him there. However, the older Shelby just nodded.

Arthur looked at Jack "I'm going to tell everyone that you've woken up. Polly was drop dead worried about you" He smiled "I'll talk to you later" He kissed her forehead before standing up.