Emma

Daniel had another one of those damn conferences in LA that keep me away from him for a week.

I had photoshoots to shoot, so I couldn't go with him.

It was February, and our wedding was coming up in July. My mom, my aunt, and Daniel's mom were gracious enough to do most of the planning. Of course I had insight, but they made the process smooth and non-stressful for me.

Daniel and I were gonna have a small wedding. We weren't really even having a wedding party at all. Just us, our close family, and closest friends gathered to see us get married. We didn't need something huge. Just something special surrounded by the people we cared about the most.

Although I was a little bummed about Daniel being in LA without me, I was excited for the concert I was shooting that week. Ethan was going with me to help out, and I was happy about that.

Luckily, things between us were normal. Those two weeks after his concert really scared me, because I didn't know if I was losing him, and that's been my biggest fear.

Even as a best friend, Ethan's someone I know I wouldn't be able to function without.

I was relieved the next time we hung out after that, to know that we were okay. Everything was cool, and nothing was out of the ordinary.

Ethan and I had a blast at the concert I was taking pictures for. I managed to take a ton of pictures, but also sing and dance along to all of the music. It was probably one of the most fun nights I've had in a while.

As we walked to the car after the show, Ethan spoke. "Can you believe it's been seven years since we met?"

"Seven years. That seems like such a long time, yet it feels like we met yesterday. Damn, I was 19 when we met, Ethan. I'm gonna be 26 in May," I said.

"You're almost closer to 30 than you are to 20," Ethan said.

I laughed. "You are too, you grandpa."

"Don't remind me," Ethan said. "29 in December."

"Hey, we should celebrate. Seven years of friendship."

Ethan looked across the street. "The Hideout is open, wanna go?"

"Gladly."

-

I was glad to be hanging out with Ethan, and I was having a lot of fun, but he tried a new type of shot tonight, and he downed one too many.

Luckily I realized how strong it was before I got drunk off of my ass. One of us needed to drive home.

As we crossed the street to go to the parking lot, I half carried Ethan, feeling his heavy arm draped around my shoulder as I assisted him.

I got him situated in the passenger seat, even having to buckle his seatbelt for him. Thank god I was sober enough to drive safely, because if I wasn't, we probably would've been doomed.

"Olivia?" Ethan asked as I sat in the driver's seat of my car.

"Ethan, it's me. It's Emma. Olivia's not here."

Ethan let out a drunken giggle. "No. For the next few minutes, you're gonna be Olivia. Because if you're Olivia, then it's okay for me to say what I wanna say. So like it or not, you're Olivia right now."

"Ethan what is go—" I said, getting cut of my Ethan.

"Olivia, I am in love with Emma, and I can't stop thinking about her. But Daniel's such a nice guy, and I want her to be happy. Emma's my best friend. I just want her dreams to come true, even if that means I could never be with her. She's the world to me, and that's why I want her to have the world. Even if I'm not the one giving it to her."

Woah.

Before I could even say anything, Ethan spoke again. "Okay. You can stop being Olivia now," he said, turning and looking out the window.

"Ethan—" I said, quickly realizing that he fell asleep as soon as he turned away. He's not going to remember this tomorrow.

I was a little bit in shock as I drove home. I kind of knew, but he's never exactly said it before. That was the first time he's ever admitted feelings like these, and I didn't know why it made me feel so good to hear it. It's like I was waiting for it to happen.

I managed to get Ethan situated in his bed before I went to leave. I was almost out of his bedroom door when he called my name.

"Emma?"

I turned around. "Yeah?"

"You can crash here if you want," he said. "On the couch. So you don't have to drive all the way home."

"Thanks, Ethan."

"Hey, you know where all the blankets and pillows are, right?"

"Yeah. In the living room closet."

"Goodnight, Emma."

"Goodnight," I said, shutting his door behind me before I set up the couch. It had a pull out bed, so I got that set up before I found the blankets and pillows I needed.

Daniel called me almost as soon as I laid down. It's like he reads my mind sometimes.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey. How was the concert?"

"Good. It was fun."

"Good. I miss you, babe."

"How's LA?"

"Boring without you."

"I know. You'll be home soon."

"Did you get home okay tonight?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Get some rest baby, I love you so much."

"I love you too," I said. "Hey, what time does your flight land on Friday?"

"Supposed to land at 11 in the morning."

"Okay. I'll be there."

"Perfect. See you then."

"Get some good sleep, Daniel. I miss you."

"I miss you more."

"I love you so much."

"I love you more."

That was the issue. I didn't know who I loved more. I was in love with two different people, and they were equally important to me.

I had no idea what to do.

All I know is that Daniel and I eventually hung up the phone, and the smile as I fell asleep wasn't because of his words tonight.

The smile as I fell asleep was because of Ethan.