The Masked Performer

'No, this is bad. There are way too many people in the audience!' (Y/N) thinks to herself as she feels more concerned about how Yunki will get through this.

"Hwooo...Hwooo..." Yunki's doing breathing exercises, but his face is already red from nerves.

'Yeah...This is gonna be hard.'

(Y/N) takes Yunki's hand, causing Yunki to jump slightly from the contact and looks towards her direction.

"Yunki...Come with me." (Y/N) says before pulling him out of the hallway.

*Timeskip*

(Y/N) drags Yunki outside with her. "Do you think you can do it? You look like you might pass out."

"I've gotta make it through somehow...Ugh...This is terrible..." Yunki replies very timid and shakily.

"Hmm...How about you try wearing this?" (Y/N) takes out something from her bag and hands it to Yunki.

It was a mask, a half- faced one with a beautiful white color with a coating of gloss to it that made it shine, that was brought especially for Yunki that will hide his face.

Yunki takes a glance at it, "Ha...What is this?"

"I bought it from a street vendor I ran past on the way to your apartment. Just in case..."

Yunki looks up at her with a touched look, "You bought this...for me?"

"Yes, it'll cover your face so no one can see how red you are and you won't feel so exposed. I thought it might make things better."

"So you think it'll work?" Yunki asks with an unsure tone.

"You said you were going to do it, one way or another. We have to try everything."

Yunki looks hesitant, but he grabs the mask anyway.

*Timeskip*

Professor Na sits in the audience with a satisfied smile on his face, "As I expected, no one compares to Ji Sungmin yet. Next contestant!"

"What's taking so long? Who's next?" A male student complains for the long wait.

"Look, it's Min Yunki! Doesn't he always choke during live performances?" A female student points out.

"He'll sit down, turn red, and probably run out again."

"I heard he's pretty good when he's practicing by himself..."

"So what? A musician's supposed to perform."

Yunki barely makes it up on stage. He lowers his hands from his face and...

"What? A mask?!" Professor Na's eyes bulge out as he sees Yunki put it on.

Despite the murmurs from the crowd, Yunki calmly begins his performance.

(Y/N) sits somewhere near the front of the audience with her fists balled up, smiling as she looks up at Yunki having faith in him. 'Yunki...You can do it!'

*Timeskip*

The preliminaries wrap up, and the participants will around waiting for their results.

Chaeik comes up with a wide grin on his face, "I can't believe you, Min Yunki. How'd you come up with that?"

Yunki scratches the side of his face with his index finger, feeling embarrassed, "It wasn't my idea, it was (Y/N)'s...Besides, I was desperate! I didn't really have a choice."

"Good job, dude. You killed it. You would've swept the competition if it weren't for the mask."

"Yeah, well..." Yunki shrugs, trying to play it cool, but his expression shows just how great he feels.

(Y/N) puts her hand on Yunki's shoulder, "You really did amazing, Yunki! You should be so proud that you finally got to get up on stage without running away at all."

Yunki's face flushes from their praises and averts his eyes, still trying to keep his cool.

The judges suddenly re-enter the room and return to their seats. Professor Na stands up and grabs the mic.

"Ahem...First of all, good work, everyone. Some of you were absolute messes, but there were a few who were relatively decent."

The room echoes with sounds of nervous swallowing.

"I'll be personally supervising the finalists' practices. After all, the winner will be personally representing our school in Germany. And the finalists are..."

(Y/N) just sits in her seat, clenching her fists on her skirt as she is silently praying to the heavens, 'Please...Please call Yunki's name.'

"Ji Sungmin has the highest score today." Professor Na announces.

Sugmin smiles easily, as if he expected this all along. Yunki's expression darkens.

"And I have a question for you, Min Yunki."

Yunki's eyes nearly bulge out of his sockets as he looks up at Professor Na. "Ye...yes?"

"Will you also be wearing a mask to the finals?"

Yunki stands up but says nothing. (Y/N) quickly prods his side.

"Ah, no! No, I will not!"

"You sparked quite the debate. We're looking forward to seeing you perform in the finals...WITHOUT the mask."

Sungmin's smile slowly fades to a frown while a smile slightly forms on Yunki's face.

"Yes! Yes, thank you!"

"I expect to see both of you during my office hours tomorrow." Professor Na finishes by sending a satisfied smile his way.

(Y/N) can't help but feel the stinging of tears in her eyes as she feels a huge wave of relief. 'Yunki did it! What a relief.'

Professor Na and the judges exit the auditorium.

Chaeik rushes next to Yunki's side, "Amazing! Amazing, Min Yunki! You made it to the finals..."

"Congrats!" (Y/N) exclaims excitedly as she suddenly hugs Yunki from his side.
The sudden contact startles Yunki as his face turns a deep red.

(Y/N) senses his tension and quickly releases him, "O-Oh, sorry about that. I probably got a little too excited." She rubs the back if her neck as her cheeks flush a bright pink.

"Oh n-no...it's okay..." Yunki says but snaps out of his flustered state as he thinks to himself, "I don't believe it..." Yunki mumbles as he is trying to ease his nerves, still so astonished.

"What do you mean you don't believe it? You were great!"

"Great? If it weren't for that mask..." Yunki states as he looks bitterly down at the mask, before turning towards (Y/N) with a look of appreciation, "Thanks. I owe you again. Now..."

"You have to practice for the finals!" (Y/N) exclaims as she balls her fist in the air.

"Yeah."

From the way his fists clench, (Y/N) can tell he's thinking the thing she is.
.
.
.
They've cleared a hurdle, and now they've got to sprint to the finish line.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
A/N: hey guys sorry for the short chapter but I promise the next one will be longer. Its just lots happened and college is just right around the corner for me but I'll try my best to still update as soon as I can. Hope you guys understand and thank so much for sticking by this story's side. As always, I purple all you beautiful ARMY and have a safe and happy day 💜🌸🦋