Rival vs Rival

They take a moment to relax after lunch.

Yunki and (Y/N) chat about what happened at the preliminaries.

"Thank goodness professor Na let you perform with the mask on." (Y/N) says with a relaxed tone as they are enjoying their lunch.

"Yeah. When I heard that they made the prelims public...I thought Professor Na still hated me."

"Well, apparently the other judges on the panel made the decision..."

"Yeah. And I'm in the finals, so..."

(Y/N) can't help but get a bad feeling about the whole thing. 'I'm still suspicious about Professor Na's sudden change in heart. It's not like he was a nice person to begin with...But the final performance is my biggest concern now.'

Yunki brings up the topic like he's read her mind. "If I can't wear the mask at the finals, I'll probably just wind up running off stage again. We already know how this is going to end. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up..."

"What are you talking about?!" (Y/N) replies, coming out louder and angrier than she intended.

Yunki looks shocked by her sudden change in mood.

"I've seen how hard you work. It's really upsetting to hear you be so negative!" (Y/N) states loudly as Yunki looks even more shocked.

They decided to look for ways to help Yunki overcome his stage fright in time for the finals, but it's definitely a challenge because she still don't know the cause.

"You shouldn't say that...You know you're skilled enough."

Yunki looks down with an unsure tone, "But at this rate..."

"Back when Professor Na was angry at you, you said you'd win him over your skills! Where'd that confidence go?"

"That was..." Yunki bites his lips, seeming to be lost in his thoughts. "I'm sorry. You keep cheering for me and supporting me and I..."

"What? Sorry? You're not trying to say you're giving up are you?" (Y/N) gives off a worried look in her eyes.

"No. I'm sorry for being depressing!"

"Phew. It's okay. Really."

"About that...I said I'd win the judges over with my skills, but I never expected I actually would. But now that I've made it through the prelims and the only thing left is to beat Ji Sungmin.

(Y/N) balls up her fist in front of her chest, "Exactly! All you have to do is win against Sungmin! Don't give up!"

"...I have to win against myself, too."

'Yunki understands his situation better than anyone. If that's the case...' (Y/N) clasps her hands together gaining his attention, "Alright. We still have time before the finals, so we'll just keep trying to overcome it!"

"Right. So..."

"So?" (Y/N) gestures for him to go on.

"Winning the battle against myself means I have to overcome a traumatic experience."

"Right..."

Yunki sends an unreadable look her way, "You probably want to know why I'm like this."

(Y/N) looks to the side, "Well...Knowing why will definitely help me to help you, but..."

'This is a huge development! It's the first time Yunki's brought something up first!'

Yunki's eyes bring out a worrisome mood all over them, "Just thinking about it is painful, but I need to be able to talk about it to move past it..."