Chapter 12

Chapter 12

It's 11:50 pm, and I felt like I could barely keep my eyes open. I squinted to keep my focus on the forest ahead of me and continued walking.

"Hey, Asher I'm gonna take your spot now. You can head off now." One of the adult soldiers, Matthew said behind me.

"But, it's not even 12:00 yet..." I said questioningly.

"Asher, son. You're clearly exhausted and you have school tomorrow. Go home and get some rest, or do some homework, I don't really care. Personally...I'd let you take some days off if I could. Your dad really needs to stop volunteering for you for all this work and let you be free for a while. You're gonna feel like you're in hell when you turn 20 and become an actual warrior of the pack. He's pushing you to grow up and have all these responsibilities that he didn't even have when he was younger. And I'd know, I grew up with the idiot...I mean your father."

He sighs in anger. He just wanted what was best for me. He always did.

"Just go home kid. Get some rest."

With that, he patted my shoulder and gave me a reassuring smile.

"Wow, ok...thanks so much!" I smiled and took off my clothes behind a tree and then shifted since I'm actually pretty far from my car. I picked my clothes up with my mouth and then took a long way so that I could do one more patrol sweep. Not to mention I really didn't want to deal with my dad getting onto me about going home early yet.

I was deep in my thoughts when I heard a snap. It had to have been a wolf, humans don't typically go into the woods, especially at night.

At this point, I was on high alert. My wolf was screaming something, but I ignored him, assuming he was saying something that I already knew. Someone had trespassed on our territory.

My paws immediately took longer, quicker strides through the forest. I followed the sound of the wolf until I saw him. Sure enough, he was a rogue.

I growled lowly and menacingly, the overwhelming urge to protect my pack's territory overtaking me. I ran even faster, feeling the blood pump through my ears as I was ganging upon him. I inwardly smirked as I noticed that he hadn't even noticed I was coming for him. As soon as I could reach him, I pounced and then attacked this unknown wolf.

We were both snarling, teeth bared, claws ready. We rolled around on the ground, taking turns being on the top. I finally won dominance and managed to pin him down for real. My claws were slightly digging into his chest, holding them in place. I growled again, in his face, and showed him my fangs. I was communicating to him that he needed to shift. This is how all wolves do it with every rogue or unknown wolf, and it works efficiently.

This wolf however was refusing to shift. I opened my mouth and snarled very close to his neck. He gave me a wolfy smug grin. The wolf started to shift underneath me.

The man he turned into almost made me stop breathing. He was so...holy fuck he was hot. His brown hair was so fluffy I had to fight the urge to run my hand through it. He had these silver eyes that were so piercing, they kept me frozen in place. I tried to keep it together and look away, but I somehow got paralyzed by his pouty lips forming the sexiest smirk I've ever seen.

I looked down at a perfect six-pack that I needed to run my hands across. Suddenly I was yanked out of my fantasy by an abrupt sound.

"Ahem, I mean damn babe. You can check me out as much as you want, but at least make it even and change back so I can do the same." He said in the calmest and deep voice I've heard in a while.