Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Mia's Pov

After school, I got to the pack house and dragged my feet up the stairs and into the kitchen to get a snack and distract myself from everything. Isaac was driving crazy, my wolf was still on edge every time I saw the injuries he got from Shad. I didn't even try to look at him today. I knew that I would snap and do something I'd regret.

I sat on top of the counter and ate the chips that I got from the pantry. I guess I was really deep in thought because I didn't notice when Xander came up to me.

"Hey, Mia! Do you know where Brook is?"

I zoned back into reality and looked at my now concerned older brother. "Uh, I have no idea," I mumbled under my breath.

He put his hand on my shoulder gently, making me look back at him.

"You ok, Mi?"

I faked a smile. "Yeah, of course," I said, but that didn't fool him in the slightest.

"What's up, Mia?" He asks me sternly.

I sighed and hunched over, sliding a hand down my face before spilling my guts.

"Well, I met my mate and-"

Xander growls, "Did he reject you? Did he hurt you? I will kill him!-"

I interrupted his speech, trying to calm him down.

"No! He didn't hurt me, okay? He's a good guy, he doesn't have the heart to do something to me."

He titled his head and stared for a second.

"Sooo...what's the problem, chief?"

"He's human and because of the cold war, I can't have him around me. I'm afraid he'll get in the middle of everything. I can't let him get hurt because of me. I can't.

Xander just looks at me for a bit before he smiled warmly and pulled up a stool from the island.

"Well, having a human mate does sound kinda rough. But people have human mates here and there and they're safe. They're part of the pack anyway. How long do you think you can keep avoiding him."

I sighed, "I don't know...until it's over I guess?"

He shook his head, "You know you can only do that for so long. Besides, I don't have to be a genius to realize how staying away from him is killing you inside."

I didn't say anything, instead, I looked down at the counter.

"Look, I get why you'd wanna keep your distance. If shit goes down we could lose a lot of people. But...well do you wanna know how I'm keeping calm with everything going on?"

I simply arched a brow at him.

"I talk about my problems with Brook. Mia, your mate is supposed to be your rock in a situation like this. It doesn't matter that he's human, he's the person you're supposed to be with. You don't have to tell him what you are yet, you don't even have to start dating him right away. Just let him in, get to know him."

"...But I just don't know what I'd do if he somehow got hurt."

"There's no way that'll happen, not when dad and I are taking care of everything."

I thought for a moment, then huffed and rubbed my temples.

"I'll...I'll think about it alright?"

Xander opened his mouth to say something, but before he could, three little girls and a little boy came running into the kitchen.

"Alpha Xander! Alpha Xander! We got you flowers from the flower field."