Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Isaac POV

I was walking up the stairs of Mia's gigantic house with my heart racing. We weren't even at the door open abruptly. Two very tall, very buff men were standing there staring at me like I had two heads. I got to the top of the stairs and just stood there being judged until one of them broke the silence.

"Mia, who's your uh... who's your friend here?" The man, who I assume is Mia's father said.

His eyes were as wide as saucers while he asked the question and Xander just continued to look profoundly confused.

I glanced at Mia. Her head was bowed down slightly as her father and brother eyed her skeptically. Seeing her so nervous in contrast to her usual collected demeanor made my throat dry. I swallowed, praying they didn't notice. Everything in me told me that was not gonna end well.

"Dad, this is Isaac. He's...a fae."

"Well, sweetheart, I can see that," her dad said with a chuckle.

"Well...he doesn't know what a fae is..." Mia said slowly.

"What?!" They yelled at the same time.

"How do you not know what a fae is...and be a fae?" The other man asked, genuinely confused.

"Well, his parents never-" her dad interrupted her.

"I was asking Isaac," he turned to me and waited for me to speak. The look in his eyes was so intense, I thought I was going to faint. I mean seriously it was like he was trying to put me six feet. This man was gonna murder me.

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out and I closed it again. The other man arched a brow at me, his lip forming a thin line as he grew a bit impatient. He sighed a bit and grew to look a little bored himself. I took a deep breath and tried again.

"...my mother is dead and my father and I aren't close." I started bluntly, feeling nothing as I said it. They were just the facts.

Mia was looking at me now, her eyes full of pity and shock. I avoided eye contact out of embarrassment and looked at her father whose eyes had softened. I noticed that the other guy shifted a bit as he looked away, a hint of guilt in his eyes.

"I'm sorry to hear that, come in." He moved out of the doorway and the other dude did the same.

When he led us into the house, all I saw were a bunch of children and adults that were laughing and talking. Wow, their family was huge. They all looked so happy. Must be nice.

We passed the front area of the inside of the house and walked down a hall that led to a set of double doors that said "Alpha's Office" on a plaque. What's an alpha, maybe that's his name?

"We're gonna talk in my office. Well, Xander's in a few months. Come on in, take a seat." He was so proud of 'Xander.' The look in his eyes said so. I guess that must be his son.

I walked in and sat down after Mia, who was acting weird. She was squirming around and couldn't sit still. I guess I was staring because she looked at me shocked. After a moment she collected herself.

"Are you okay?" She whispered.

I just nodded and whispered back a yes.

"Okay, Isaac. I'm sorry to hear about your mother, but can I ask what her name was?"

I looked up at Mia's dad, who was sitting on the edge of the desk. I thought about it for a moment before answering.

"I don't remember, I was four when she died."