The Guide To Success (Wilbur)

First attempt at one of these! I have a playlist where I keep all the songs I want to write one-shots for, I put it on shuffle, and this is the first one to come up! so enjoy!

other info: no respawn. if you die, that's it.

pronouns: they/them

⚠‼ WARNING. CONTAINS VILLIAN WILBUR, MENTIONS OF DEATH, JSCHLATT, MENTIONS OF GOING INSANE, AND MINOR CURSING. IF THERE ARE ANY I MISSED, PLEASE NOTIFY ME. THANK YOU.‼⚠

I love that you are loyal,
Love that you got passion,
Love that you take noble stands,
Kid, Really, I do
Really, I do

You had known Wilbur from the start of the war. you were there when L'manberg rose, and you were there when it fell. you knew Wilbur was Loyal to his country and his people. he would never abandon them in a time of need. he was passionate about everything he said and did. he always took noble stands, having many high principals. he was a great kid.

he hated that you called him 'kid'. it started as a joke when you found out you were a few months older than him, and you had never let him go a day without knowing. and he hated it. but, he knew it kept you sane and happy, so he let you keep calling him that. he knew that if he told you to stop, you would.

but he never did.

But loyal isn't business
Passion is imprudent
You're not allowed to make demands,
Kid, really, it's true
Kid, I'm telling you

you realized from the moment he was exiled he had lost his mind, as you had a long time ago. you really couldn't stay there without him to keep you sane. so you fled. fled to the mountains where nobody would find you. you were safe. insane, and alone with your thoughts for the first time in a while, but safe. safe where He wouldn't find you. and that was fine with you. that was until Dream found where you had hidden yourself. sure, during the war you were on opposite sides, but he was nice to talk to. he would go to the mountain you had dug out by some, and keep you updated on current events, and sometimes just chat. he was nice company.

until he told you that Wilbur had started making demands he was in no place whatsoever to make. he was losing it, and you could tell just by what Dream had told you.

And you're much too young to know better
And you've gotten yourself in a mess
So before I send your death letter
I'll recite you the guide to success
Free of charge, here's the guide to success:

Dream had been sort of a messenger for the two of you. Wilbur would ask him to send you a message and vice versa. so when you heard that he was going to try and blow up what was now Manberg, you had 2 options.

either try and convince him to stop,

or let dream help him.

and you let him. but you wanted to advise him of something. a guide you had written. others called it the guide to insanity. but you called it the guide to success. you were just going to ask him to live out an old plan the two of you had made a long time ago. fake your deaths, and only leave a letter behind.

but he was far too gone for that.

so, you headed down to where Dream said he could be found at the ungodly hour before sunrise. in a forest, by a small lake. one that no one knew about. it was peaceful almost. you sat down next to him, him not even flinching as you did so, as if he knew you would show up. "I heard what you're trying to do," you mumbled, him looking over to you. his eyes. his eyes were a shade of red rather than their normal soft brown, and had bags under them. "What, are you here to stop me? betray me like everyone else?!" he said, raising his voice slightly. you smirked and responded. "Quite the opposite, actually. I'm here to help. well, not help. just give you some advice. a guide to success, if you will."