chapter 5: Dark Days

Dale

The memories of our first eat out still lingers in my mind up to this day.  The past 4 years in this school has been challenging specially my grade 4 days. If not for Marites, I wouldn't be able to survive the bullying and discrimination. There's a lot of painful experience the past years, first of is I was not able to attend our Christmas party when I was in Grade 1 because mom left us that week and Dad doesn't have money to give.

Flashback

"Hanggat nagpupunta Daddy nyo dito, hinding hindi tayo matatahimik! Paguwi kong nandito pa ang Daddy nyo hindi nyo na ko makikita!" Si Mommy. Iyak naman ako ng iyak dahil ayaw ko na umalis ulit si Daddy. Alam kong kapag umalis siya ay dadalhin nya si Chris. Ayaw ko din umalis si mommy, paano na kami kapag umalis siya? Nakita ko naman ang masamang tingin ni daddy kay mommy bago nagsalita.

"Mga anak ko sila Herminia! Gusto ko lang makasama ang mga anak ko ngayong pasko!! Pumayag naman si Jimmy!". Dad pertaining to tito Jimmy's approval so he can stay with us.

"Oo nga pumayag! Kaya nga ako na lang ang aalis!". Sigaw naman ni mommy. Sabay talikod. Umiiyak na din si ate at hinabol si mommy pero hindi ito nagpapapigil. Mom left us few days before the Christmas party. We were absent the following day until Christmas party came.. I could feel that ate would like to join but she have to look after us. I knew that she saved her own money for this but she opted to spend it for our food. Dad stayed with us. We thought he'll stay sober but he's drunk everyday.

Christmas and New Year's day came like a normal day for us. Nothing special. We just have bread on the table. Tito Jimmy's family is out of the country. If they are here, for sure we are  already feasting on delicious food and desserts. I knew it's going to be a like a normal day just like how our previous holidays went, nothing special on the table. I went out to sit on my normal spot in front of the house. I would normally seat there to count how many tricycle would pass by and with the hope that mom will go home to us this time since it's Christmas day. Jolly and her family is having their bbq party in their garage. I saw our elite neighbors coming in and out. Jolly stepped out their gate and I saw how she graced her beautiful dress. Ito siguro ang sinasabi ni Marites na "pamasko". She's been asking me since Nov kung ano ang damit kong pamasko. I even asked if it's required. I envy Marites sometimes, surely she is young but she have the guts to work on something she wanted. Like the Christmas party thingy. I knew that she's been busy during weekends being a store helper just to save money so she can buy the dress that she saw in the market. 200 daw kasi yun. I am amazed that she could already spend that big amount of money that I was not able to have nor touch in my 7 years in this world.

Holidays are over and so as Christmas Vacation. And it's time to go back to school. Mamm Glenda's concerned  face surprised me on our first day. She approached me and asked to wait for her outside while she assemble the class inside our room. Alam ko na kung tungkol saan to.

"Dale, bakit matagal kang nag absent and bakit hindi ka dumating nung Party? Inaantay ka ng classmates mo." those were the exact words of Mamm Glenda. Nahihiya akong tumingin at sumagot sa kanya. Alam kong alam nya ang sitwasyon namin sa bahay.

"Mamm, kasi po wala si Mommy, wala din po kaming pera".  Nahihirapan kong sabi. Gusto kong malungkot dahil alam kong naaawa sakin si Mamm Glenda. May panahon kasi na matagal kaming nagabsent  like after ng birthday ni Ate, at pinuntahan nya kami sa bahay only to find out that Mom left us dahil nagpunta si Daddy.