Chapter 14: Summer in the Countryside

Evangeline's POV

My summer began with much stress and much refusal. Newt told me he found a place in the countryside in England where I can embrace my magic fully. That there would be no way for me to harm others or draw attention. And while it sounded so exciting, I was also so nervous at the thought of embracing such destructive magic. 

Newt and Tina moved into the house that we were staying in. Newt would help with guiding while Tina would continue to be supportive and assuring. 

I sat down outside in the grass, feeling the hot summer air and sun on my skin. Newt sat in a chair across from me. I kept my eyes closed, focusing on my surroundings. 

Newt said quietly, "Now I want you to release your wings and show them. From now on, do not hide them. You have to accept that as part of you, and no one else will see besides us." 

I nodded, breathing out as I released them. I sighed as stretched them out to feel everything around me. 

I opened my eyes and saw him smile, "Good. Now I want you to spend the rest of today working on your fire elemental magic. Do not worry about destroying things, for it can be fixed later. Focus on accepting it. Using it and enjoying it. I don't expect you to be successful today, but the point of this is for you to emotionally accept and embrace this part of your magic."

I nodded in understanding. I got up and began to run around the field. Newt had gone inside to be with Tina. I was wearing a beautiful white dress, that was perfect for running in a field aimlessly in.  As I ran, I let my fire magic go. As my feet landed on the ground, it would burn the grass below it. I lit up my arms as I ran, fire surrounding them as I twirled about and let go. 

I stopped thinking, I simply let my magic did what it wanted. I moved about and danced like a beautiful waltz was playing, yet it only played in my head. I closed my eyes and continued to move, to feel the warmth of the sun and my fire. 

When I opened my eyes however, my happiness quickly went away, as I was horrified by my surroundings. Everything looked so destroyed. So wrong. So horrid. I quickly stopped using my fire magic and sat back on the ground. 

How can one not feel upset by this? It didn't make sense. I was destroying the world around me, how could I not be terrible for that? I wrapped my wings around me and hugged my legs, burying my face from the world. 

I suddenly heard music. Quiet music, but music nonetheless. I looked up to see Newt with my stereo, playing classical music. He yelled from the house, "Create life my girl!" 

I breathed in and out, calming myself. Fix what I had done. That is possible. I felt the ground and buried my hands into the dirt. I focused on the earth, and the plants, the grass, the flowers, the bugs. I focused on the water that all of the life kept within them, to keep them alive. I returned it all. Everything, putting it all to how it should be. Before I destroyed it. 

Suddenly the quiet grounds were filled with the music of the insects that lived in the field. I don't know if I created new insects or if I revived the ones I had destroyed, but I didn't care. It was like I created no harm in the first place. 

I held my hands out in front of me, focusing on bringing my fire magic back, but only in my hands. I snapped my fingers and lit a flame. A single flame. I moved the flame, making it dance, just as I danced in the field. It was so beautiful. I grew that flame into a figure, a girl, dancing in the air. 

A smile drifted onto my features. At least something beautiful came from my magic. I changed that small dancing girl into a ball, throwing the ball up and catching it with my hands.