Chapter 25: A Gift

Third POV

Friday arrived quickly for Evangeline, her birthday was today. She awoke early in the morning, stretching her limbs before heading to the shower. The warm water soothed her and woke her up from her slumber. After showering she quickly dried herself and her hair, brushing it to gently fall down her back. It had grown much longer than she realized. 

Climbing into her bag, she settled on a familiar green dress, the one she wore two Christmases ago. It was more of a winter dress, but she liked how she looked in it. She threw on some black flats to go with it. Then she threw on the usual cloak, gloves, and glasses. She would be able to visit Remus today, and it brought her a tinge of excitement. 

Leaving her room, she went invisible and decided to go outside to the Black Lake. She remembered how she used to speak out her feelings to it, and grow flowers to hide the pain. As it was her birthday and she wanted to remember happiness today, she decided to do it again. 

She went visible and began speaking at the edge of the water, "Hello again. It's been a while. I feel like today will be good. I'm seeing Remus, so I think I'll have some happy moments. I hope that I can soon move on and get back to normal. I really don't want to be in this state anymore. I'm nervous that if I delay in switching back any longer, I'll grow more things. I hope this won't be permanent."

She paused before continuing, "I think I know now that I'm no longer separate from my obscurus state. That this state and normal me are one in the same, it's just a matter of me truly wanting to go back to normal. I suppose it's a good thing I'm not a completely different person in this state anymore. But I think this means that, if I truly want to go back to being normal me, I have to believe that I deserve it. That it's okay for me to move on with my life, knowing I did what I did. I don't know. I'm just guessing at this point, hoping I'm arriving at the right answers. It feels better to theorize than to think of worst case scenarios." 

She let out a sigh, silence befalling her as she stared out at the lake. Finally satisfied with voicing her thoughts, she grew some flowers and walked back to the castle. She made her way to Remus' classroom, eager to see him again. 

When she arrived, she walked in to the empty classroom and made her way to his office. He stood up immediately and pulled her into his arms when she walked in. He pulled away with a mischievous smile as he said, "Hello, Eva. I have a surprise for you." 

Eva rolled her eyes, "That was quick. I was hoping you were joking when you said you were going to get me back." 

Before she knew it, Remus was pulling her down the stairs and leading her down hallways. She giggled lightly along the way. She felt like a child when she was with him, and she loved it. After many sets of stairs and going down several halls, they arrived at the Room of Requirement. 

They paused for a moment and Remus turned around with a smirk on his face, "Alright, from here on out you can't look. You must keep your eyes closed. No peeping!"

Eva chuckled and shook her head, "Aw no fun. But okay. Don't let me hit anything, alright?" He nodded and she closed her eyes. She heard the door open as Remus pulled her through the doors. As she heard the door shut, she said softly, "Can I open them now?" 

Remus turned in front of her and proceeded to bring his hands to her face, "Nope. But since we're here, I'm taking off all those things you hide yourself with. Okay?" 

She nodded, a small smile playing along her features. She felt slightly nervous, as she was growing used to all of the layers, she almost felt naked without them on. He first pulled off her sunglasses, folding them and holding them in his teeth. He then pulled off her gloves, one by one, with his two hands. Then he shed off her cloak, which was a bit difficult since he was holding on to so much.