Chapter 31: Brawl

Evangeline's POV

It was about 5am when I woke up. Snape was still asleep in the library, as I had gotten up to check on him. There were still a few hours before classes would begin, so I figured it would be good for him to sleep in a bit. My first class wasn't until 10am, meaning I had plenty of time. 

I went to the kitchen to heat up some water for tea. While that was boiling, I fed all the creatures and watered my plants. Sitting in my office, I started writing out my schedule for the week and worked on some homework. By then the water was done, so I made some hibiscus tea and sipped it as I worked. When 6am finally arrived I decided to make breakfast since I assumed Snape would wake up soon.

I had just finished cooking the bacon, quickly cooking the eggs before Snape walked in. He looked sleepy, with his hair ruffled slightly from sleeping. His robes still made him look much more formal in comparison to me, who was still in flannel pajamas. 

Cheerily I said, "Good morning professor. I suppose you should leave soon to prepare for your classes, but please have some breakfast will you?" 

He hummed in response and sat down at the dining table. I made a pot of coffee for him too, so I waved a cup over to him along with milk and sugar to add to his liking. He seemed a bit grumpy, but I just figured he wasn't a morning person. 

I sat down a plate full of eggs and bacon in front of him, sitting across from him with my own plate. I whizzed over my tea and homework from the office, eating and working while Snape attempted to wake up. 

He asked quietly, "Do you do this often in the morning?" I nodded, "My sleep schedule is always a bit flawed and that hasn't changed. It worsened when I traveled a bunch, time zones. But today I got up at 5am and took care of some things. Did you sleep well?" 

He moved a bit to stretch his muscles, "As good as you can on a couch." I chuckled slightly, "Apologies. I was tempted to transfigure it into a bed, but I didn't want to wake you." 

He murmured, "I always see you working or reading while eating." 

"Yes, well I don't normally eat with others. So I have to do something to buy the time, otherwise I'd just be staring off into the distance in boredom. It's now become a bit of a habit." 

I continued, "I also figured you needed time to wake up, and a conversation wouldn't help that." He breathed in and nodded. We continued eating until he said calmly, "You're a wonderful cook." 

I couldn't help the small smile that fell on my features, "As are you." He hummed in agreement. Thoughts filled my mind as I realized what was happening between Professor Snape and I. He slept in my house and is now sharing breakfast with me. Something about that phrase seemed so unusual but so exciting. Seeing how he looked when he just woke up, that's a view very few have seen and I won't forget it. 

He left shortly after, to which I followed him and teleported back to my room to avoid any suspicions. Back in my bag, I decided to buy time by listening to 50s tunes. However, now that I was left to my thoughts for the first time in probably months those bad thoughts came rushing back. I had consumed my time with work and other responsibilities to avoid this, but I had nothing to do except focus on how I should be ashamed of my success. That I didn't deserve it, that it came too easily and that I was cheating my way through it. I was too successful. It was all too unreal and something that shouldn't be happening to me of all people. I didn't deserve it. 

I buried myself in my covers, hugging one of my pillows for comfort. Ugh I hate thinking this way but I just do. I know it's bad and I shouldn't, but I can't help it. I couldn't help but believe that someone like me didn't deserve to be so successful.