Chapter 24: April

Evangeline's POV

It happened at the tail end of March. I was sleeping one warm night and had been thrashing a lot due to the nightmares. What woke me up was the taste of blood in my mouth. I wiped my tongue around my mouth to find that the bottom of my lip was what was hurt. 

I got out of bed to look at what happened and was horrified to see what was inside my mouth. Fangs. My canines were much more elongated and my lateral incisors now were sharpened to a point but weren't as long as my canines. My bottom teeth remained the same though. I fell to the ground and just spent forever numbly feeling my teeth, ignoring the blood dripping from my lip. My fingers absently began to push my teeth, hoping they'd go back to normal with some effort.

They didn't. I stood back up and looked at myself again. I looked monstrous. Quite literally. With the claws, the eyes, the fangs, the wings, I looked like a demon or something. I lightly touched my face, wishing I could be back to how I used to be. 

In a flash of anger I punched the glass mirror, shattering it into a billion pieces. I looked at my hand and quickly healed it along with my lip. 

I thought I was improving. I had stopped being suicidal, I smiled those few times a week or so ago, and I stopped crying everyday. Sure I still felt depressed and hated myself and felt guilty, but at least I wasn't a mess? I groaned aloud. 

And now what am I supposed to do? I can't eat publicly now, and I can't keep my mouth open really ever. So talking isn't really a good idea. I might as well just wear a trash bag over my whole body and call it a day. 

I spent the remainder of the night just sitting alone in my thoughts. I had no desire to do anything or be emotional about it. I'm tired of feeling sorry for myself. I just got to accept that shit like this happens and move on, otherwise I'll be consumed in fear. 

After that night, I only went out in the evenings to get groceries and cook at the apartment. I filled a lot of my sorrows with alcohol, so it helped as a nice distraction. I got some extra fabric and sewed a hood onto my cloak, hoping it would help hide my face a bit more. 

April arrived quickly, and I knew it was time to return to Hogwarts. I packed up my things and cleaned the apartment. Showering, I dried myself and then threw on some ripped jeans, a black tank top, my cloak, gloves, and sunglasses. One thing I hated about having to wear so many layers to hide myself is that I'm always too hot in this warm weather.

Finally satisfied with my appearance, I teleported to the grounds of Hogwarts. I was nervous about other students seeing me with my changes, so I went invisible until I got to my room. When I left, my room was still a mess. However it was magically back to normal when I returned. I stifled a small chuckle as I thought of Remus. Of course he would. 

I left my bag on the table in my room and pulled my wand out to stick it into my boot. I knew I needed to report my return to Albus, so I took the passageway from my room to his office. I slid out the opening and hopped down, realizing there were quite a few people in Dumbledore's office. 

In front of me was Lucius and it looked like someone from the Ministry, based on the garb they wore. Shit. I turned to Albus who looked at me seriously, "Hello Evangeline. I see you're back." 

I nodded quietly and then said to Albus mentally, "I can't speak aloud right now with them here. Tell them that I was badly sick recently and my voice is still recovering.

Lucius turned to me and sneered, "Oh look, the freak of nature is here. This is exactly why I suggested to Minister Crouch that we should inspect the premises." 

Dumbledore eyed Lucius and said sternly, "Lucius, I don't appreciate you making fun of my students. It is unbecoming of you." 

The man from the Ministry said, "Do students often come into your office suddenly, Headmaster?"