Chapter 20: Family

Evangeline's POV

I spent the last week taking my exams, luckily doing well on all of them. I hadn't talked to Snape since that encounter. I was even nervous to look at him. I don't know why, I just couldn't tell if it was real, or if it was just us joking around. But what I didn't want to admit, was that I truly felt something for him at the time. Something real. 

It was the weekend now, and tomorrow we would be going to Washington to visit my parents. Their names were Willow and Viktor. Last time I was with them, my mom was a stay-at-home wife and my dad went into Seattle often for work. 

My body was full of nerves today, and not the good kind of nervousness. In a random thought I teleported myself to Germany again. I was in Munich. I remember there was this lovely shop down a plethora of alleys that had the prettiest dresses. I couldn't afford anything they had there, but I decided to go anyways so I can get a dress for tomorrow. At least I could show my parents that I was doing fine without them. 

I spent the day trying on dresses of all kinds, swirling in them and imagining the look on my parents faces when they saw me. Finally, I decided on a wool dress that had a lovely plaid pattern. There were buttons on the bodice of the dress, the buttoned up to the collar. The store had a nice pair of lace-up brown boots to go along with it. It would be perfect for the weather, even the snow, and I would feel beautiful in it. 

Once I left the shop with the bag of the dress I purchased and the boots, I quickly stuffed it into the magical bag I had

Once I left the shop with the bag of the dress I purchased and the boots, I quickly stuffed it into the magical bag I had. I had spent too much money on the items, amounting to 300 Euros in total. I dug through my pocket to see how much money I had left. I had savings, but I didn't want to burn through it all. 

Luckily I had about 10 Euros to go get some coffee and a pastry, with just about 4 Euros to spare. I sat outside and spent a good amount of the day watching everyone walking the stone streets and look for Christmas gifts. It was cold and there were patches of snow everywhere, but I still kept warm given the amount of layers I wore. The distant echoes of musicians playing on the streets completed the scene. It was nice how familiar Germany was to me, because it felt like it was mine. A homey place that didn't belong to anyone else and couldn't be taken away from me. 

I thought about how interesting it would be to bring Snape here. He'd probably think I was insane sitting outside in the cold, when I could easily just stay inside the café I was at. He'd probably send glares at the muggles for how loud they were and how childish it all seemed. But I think a part of him would enjoy everything too, even if he hid it behind grumbles and glares. I chuckled at the thought. 

 When the Christmas lights began to become the main source of light in the night, I decided it was time for me to leave. I got up and walked down some streets to an empty alleyway. Satisfied that there were no onlookers, I teleported to the front of Hogwarts. I made my way to Dumbledore's office again, ready to go over the plan. 

Saying happily Gumdrops, I walked up to his office to see Dumbledore sitting at his desk quietly. I smiled and waved to him, "Hi Mr. Dumbledore! How are you doing this evening?" I sat down in one of the chairs and shook some of the snow off my coat. He smiled, "I'm doing well Miss Waters. I see you've been out for some time?"