Chapter 59: First Session

Evangeline's POV

A week had gone by as a tutor, and so far so good. No one's really visited my office yet though, so that's probably why. 

I didn't expect to need time to adjust to this new schedule though. My days were so long that I often went to bed just short of 9pm so I could wake up in time to do my morning workout before my hours started.

Severus and I haven't interacted too much this week. I think it's just because I usually sleep so early and don't have much time in the day to see him. At least we can spend meal times together. 

It was Sunday when I first received some students traipsing into my room. 

-------------

I was working down in my bag when the charm on my door triggered. Finally a student! 

"One moment!" I yelled from down below, putting charms to pause the brewing of some potions before teleporting back up to my tutoring room.

"Ah!" Hermione shrieked at my sudden appearance.

I put up my hands kindly, "Sorry! I just didn't want you to think I was gone or something. Don't mind me. Welcome!" 

She composed herself and wrapped her arms tightly around her books, "Thank you, Miss Waters. I was wondering if you would be willing to help me with potions. Professor Snape wanted us to brew the Forgetfulness Potion." 

"Ah, okay! It's intimidating but not difficult. Is there anything about it you wanted to know in particular?" 

She thought for a moment, "Not really. I just supposed hearing about it from someone else might help me understand it better." 

"Of course" I smiled, "How about this? I'll explain the steps and the ingredients and then we'll practice it? I think I have the necessary ingredients." 

"Really?! We can do that?" Hermione's eyes lit up at the notion. 

I nodded and grinned at her, "I have a spare cauldron and supplies over there just for this but first I'll explain. Feel free to write notes, but I likely won't say anything beyond what's already in your textbook. Please have a seat and relax. I'll go look for my notes to make sure I don't miss anything." 

I searched the bookcase and pulled out the potions book I had. I put tabs with labels so I knew which potion was on which page. 

Looking down at the book as I walked casually about the room, I said, "So if you ever need to remember the ingredients and process for this potion, it's quite simple. Luckily most ingredients require 2 of each, with only mistletoe berries being 4. Only 4 ingredients to remember: Lethe River Water, valerian sprigs, standard ingredient, and mistletoe berries." 

"Lethe River Water is slightly difficult to come by but everything else is simply bought. You want to have everything by your cauldron before you start, that way you don't run into any issues. First heat your cauldron. A low heat just to get it slightly warm but not enough where water would evaporate once it hit the surface. Shouldn't take much time, if anything a minute. Put two drops of the river water in. After 20 seconds, be as precise as possible, add two valerian sprigs. There's no need to trim or remove parts of it, so throw it in as is. Stir clockwise three times, wave your wand, and then leave it to brew." 

"That's the first part and you can take a breather then. Wait around 45-60 minutes. You'll be ready to move on when the potion looks combined and just slightly translucent. The finished product is a nice red color, but for right now it'll be just a murky color." 

"While you wait, you can grind up the other two ingredients. You'll need two measures of standard ingredient. You're typically provided with a measuring cup that equals what you need, just fill up two of those and you're good. The instructions in the book tell you to add 4 mistletoe berries and then grind it up, but it incorporates easier when you grind up the standard ingredient first and then add the berries. Either method will work but you'll save a little time and elbow grease my way. The mixture should be relatively fine, but not like dust. Does that make sense?"