A Sure Thing

Trixie sat patiently in her room, waiting for whatever was going to come up next. Her life had become a wild card of possibilities. Knowing that she could be pregnant was different than knowing she was pregnant. Knowing that Dr. Mullens had feelings for her could go in any direction with unknown mental repercussions in either direction. In the back of her mind there was also the nagging question of what was going to become of Petra's twins. She was literally giving herself more mental trepidation than the doctor could on any given day.

When Dr. Mullens came into her room he was smiling ear to ear, "Results were great!" Trixie's heart sank a little, and she wore the emotion on her face. Suddenly the doctor looked concerned, "It's okay, we are better equipped to deal with this here than you were at the Den, and Sadie will be your midwife." He used a reassuring tone, but it didn't help. Knowing that Sadie was working for WOLF didn't bother Trixie, she felt that Sadie probably had ulterior motives herself. All she could think was, at least it's not his baby this time.

He took a couple steps toward her, "I've been trying to figure out what to say to you. But what I should have been trying to do is ask you, if you have feelings for me." He was genuine and sincere in his question. Trixie took a deep breath; she didn't have to pretend to be uncomfortable. "Doc at the Den, before anything happened, I had an infatuation with you. It wasn't feelings, it was probably all the drugs you had me on to fuck with my head. You know what they were doing, and you still want to ask a question like that? I have feelings for Kaleb, I've always had some sort of feelings for Kaleb."

Dr. Mullens chewed his lip then ask, "You had feelings for Kaleb, Trixie. He's gone now. And what about now, here?" She shook her head; she couldn't let the Doc know she found out Kaleb was still alive. "I don't know, I thought I hated you. What does it matter anyway? You're married, remember?" His half smile matched his tone, "Ivy is gone Trixie. You didn't seem to hate me the other night." Sighing she began to fidget, "I was half asleep Doc. A little part of me says this is just more mind games, that you're up to no good." He reached out and grabbed her fidgeting hands, "What is the bigger part saying?" Trixie always had a hard time looking into people's eyes when she lied, even now. "I can't listen to that part, it's heartbroken and lonely."

Playing with a little of her hair he said softly, "Maybe it's time to listen to that part for a change." Feeling that is was an appropriate time to give him mixed messages she looked up at him, "Do you prey on me because I'm weak, or it's because right now you're lonely and weak?" He had expected her to say something nasty; it was just the way she was when you hit an open nerve. Her body language wasn't her usual stand offish; she was relaxed as he played with her hair and she hadn't pulled her hand away from him yet. Lightly he squeezed her hand and the hand that played with her hair moved to her cheek. "Neither one of us has to feel lonely Trixie." He bent down and lightly kissed her cheek, "You can go to the T.V. room if you wish."

Trixie was out of the room before he was. Yana saw her come in and quickly made her way to her. "Haven't seen you in days. How did procedure go?" She asked Trixie. She shrugged her shoulders, "As it was supposed to, I'm pregnant." Yana had a disgusted look, "Sorry." "I think there is going to be a bigger problem with Dr. Mullens than expected." "How so?" Trixie's eyes widened as she started, "The other night, he and the misses got into an argument and she's gone. Then I woke up to him staring at me in the middle of the night. He told me we could be lonely together." Yana made a wrenching sound. "Creepy." Trixie nodded, "I'm already feeling crazy with being pregnant again, I hate this."

Yana smiled, "My babushka had fifteen children. This was before the crazy; it was just the way it was." Trixie's eyes widened in horror, "Fifteen?" She smiled at Trixie and nodded, "Woman never wanted children, but she did. It's how it had always been Trixie." She swallowed down this hard truth, guess the world hadn't changed much, it just became more radical. "Little Petra is being pregnant again soon." Trixie coughed, "So quickly?" "One time a virgin birth was a miracle from heaven, now we have two. This is our sign." Trixie knew the biblical point that Yana was coming from. "You keep working on the doctor, I've been getting into more places. I think we try sooner than I originally thought."