The Gift

Trixie followed the man into the woods, deeper and deeper, until they came to a clearing in the trees that looked burnt. He stopped and turned to her, leaning down he said softly, "You may want to close your eyes." She looked at him puzzled as bright light surrounded them, she could detect it will all of her senses. Only moments of it and she closed her eyes thinking she'd go blind if she didn't, the light was so bright she could still see it from behind her eyelids. She threw her hands up trying to keep out the painfully bright light, but then it was over. She felt a hand on her shoulder. When she opened her eyes Mr. Whitaker was smiling down at her. "Are you okay? It's a little uncomfortable in the beginning."

Blinking her eyes, they quickly adjusted to the room. The room, they weren't in the forest on the side of the mountain anymore, they were in a room. It was a soft white clad with gray furniture. Trixie turned back to him in confusion. He pointed to the oversized couch, well oversized for her. "Sit please, are you hungry? Thirsty perhaps?" He asked politely. As she sat down, she shook her head, he gave a dignified nod and sat in the large chair in front of her. "What are you?" Trixie asked, her voice didn't quiver or shake. "That's a fairly broad question with many answers." He said earnestly. "Well pick a few." She stated.

He smiled, "I like you. Direct, to the point. I'm guessing you've noticed the similarities along with the obvious differences between us." She nodded. "Humans are a far sub-species of us, and you are a much closer sub-species." She flinched when he said it but didn't interrupt. "More importantly Trixie, you are part of me." When her brow furrowed, he sighed. "The DNA Dr. Peterson used to create you, was mine." Trixie understood that alright, her face turned to disbelief. "I assure you, it's true." She couldn't stop herself now, "So you brought me here to tell me I'm your daughter?" His sigh was almost a chuckle, "Not only that. I wanted to give you the opportunity to be a part of something much bigger." Typical Trixie kicked in, "And, where are we?" She asked now becoming indignant. "We're on my ship."

Trixie nodded and replied, "A ship? Like suddenly we're on the ocean?" Mr. Whitaker furrowed his brow, "No my dear we're in space." Trixie stood up and walked a couple steps away from him, her face was fully animated as she gestured with her hands, "Right! Space. We're on your spaceship! Okay so my opportunity to what? Work for WOLF, on a spaceship, in space. Where in space are we?" His look was now cautioned, "Behind the dark side of the moon." Trixie blinked several times before replying to him, "Okay um thank you, uh dad. For not killing my friends and getting rid of Cicero, but I'd like to leave crazy town now." His gazed was less gentle now, "And that's the human side of you, arrogance." He stood up and walked over to the far wall, turning he motioned her to come along.

Hesitantly she walked over to the wall with him, she saw his hand on a panel of lights. When he pressed it, the wall began to slide up, until stopping at the top. Trixie's eyes adjusted rather quickly to what she was looking at, her brain however wasn't as quick. From where they where she could see the gray pocked surface of the moon; and there far in the distance a small blue and white ball. Her mouth opened and closed several times, but nothing came out. "I can't take you out there, I'm afraid neither one of us would survive." He said looking down at her. Trixie stiffly nodded and walked back to the couch, she stared off with a bizarre look on her face. Mr. Whitaker sat down again in the chair. "Are you alright?" He asked.

Her eyes shifted up to him, "What did you want from me?" He smiled settling back into his chair. "I want you to teach, and care for the children." She looked around the room, "What children?" "Our children, they're here, on this very ship. Well, except for the ones down on your mountain." Her eyes bugged, "You took the children from the clinics? The ones that were adopted out?" Her tone was more accusing than anything. "And what? You're going to steal those girl's babies?" He figured he better stop her before hysteria took over. He held his hand up, "Can I finish?" Her pale skin was flushing, but she nodded. "The mothers will come as well. And anyone deemed worthy, capable of tolerance, empathy and intelligence." The intense color started to fade away from her face. "Why?"