Exploration

Jacob was showing her the kitchen, it was unfamiliar and strange to her. The pantry was lined with canned and dried food products, nothing really fresh. Inside the fridge there were a few things like bread and milk. She shut the fridge, "You don't get eggs here?" He ushered her back to the pantry, next to the instant potatoes and powdered milk was powdered eggs. "What the hell is this?" He looked at her confused, "Did you see any farms coming in?" She shook her head. "That's what we get." Trixie came out of the pantry and looked around, "What's that?" Laughing he walked over to the box, "It's a microwave. Didn't you guys have one when you were little?" Trixie shrugged. "It heats up your food."

"Maybe I shouldn't leave you alone here." Trixie turned, "Why? I'll figure it out." Jacob smiled, "I don't need you burning down the house." Her eyes lit up, "I'm not going to burn down the fucking house Doc!" He closed his eyes and patted the kitchen island lightly, "I'm not saying you would do it on purpose." Looking over her he said, "I need to get you some clothes." She wasn't even wearing shoes, just the soft booties the hospital provided the girls. "I'm going to call my sister."

Ester Mullens was Jacobs younger sister, tall and dark just like him. But she possessed something Jacob never had, empathy and humility. When she breezed through the front door, she lightened the tension almost immediately in the room. "Ester, thank you for coming over. I'm not going to lie; I really need your help." She nodded at him, her big eyes soft and kind, "Okay Jake, what do you need me to do?" He pulled Trixie over, "She needs, stuff. Clothes, shoes, stuff. And help with the food and kitchen." Trixie grabbed the front of his shirt, "Why are you treating me like I'm helpless?" Ester's eyes widened. He peeled her fingers off his shirt, "Because you're not fighting for survival here and you're a little helpless Trixie. Ester's going to take you for things, and I think you'll get along great, she's not like me." "So she's nice?" Trixie interrupted. "Busy." Jacob corrected.

The doctor thanked his sister and walked out the door, leaving the two women alone. "Trixie is it?" She did sound genuine. Trixie nodded, "You're Ester?" "Yeah." She looked Trixie over, "Doll face, let's go get you some clothes." Ester waved her hand in a come here motion, Trixie followed her out into the street. As they walked Ester tried to be friendly, striking up what she thought was a harmless topic. "So, you and my brother huh? That's sweet, how did you meet?" Trixie looked at her like she couldn't believe what came out. "He kidnapped me." Ester's eyes looked like they were going to pop out of her skull. "Twice." Ester stopped, "You're one of those girls from the clinic?" Trixie nodded.

Before she knew what was happening Ester had her arms around her, which was awkward, besides the fact Trixie didn't know her she was about a foot taller than Trixie. When she let go Trixie could see her eyes were moist, "You poor dear, I'm so sorry." She grabbed Trixie's hand and continued to walk with her. "Do you have any family?" Trixie shook her head. Ester bit her lip, "I'm just striking out all over place, aren't I?" Trixie shook her head, "No, you're being nice." Ester clapped her hands together, not knowing what to say. "Do you want clothes first?" "Yeah, I'd like to get out of these."

Ester helped Trixie get several outfits, and a couple pairs of shoes. She also took her for personal care items, basics really, shampoo and things of that nature. When they arrived back at the house Ester took her straight into the kitchen. "Did you have a kitchen?" Ester asked. "We had a cafeteria. Everything was industrial and we lived on a farm. I really don't know what I'm looking at." Ester's expression showed she was impressed, "Wow, what I'd do to live on a farm. Everything so fresh." Trixie tried to imagine Ester on a farm, it was amusing.

When Jacob arrived back, it was dark outside. He thanked Ester and walked her to the bus. Coming back in he saw the bags of clothes sitting at the base of the steps, "Do you need help with these?" he asked. "I didn't know where to put it." Grabbing the bags, he motioned up the stairs, she followed him. Showing her the second closet in the room and the empty dresser that were to be hers, he placed the bags on the floor. "I'm going to take a shower." She nodded and began to put the articles of clothing away. A tight knot had started in her gut. After everything was put away, she changed into a long night shirt and took the bags outside to the garbage. Then she sat on the edge of the bed, not sure what she was supposed to do. Even if the monitor wasn't on her, she couldn't have taken off; she had made a promise to Petra.