8: B is for Bets, B is for Basketball

_______________________________________________________________________________

Sooo sorry for the long wait for this chapter, blame it on exams! But as promised, this chapter is impressively long - If I do say so myself (;

Yay got another fan!! This chapters dedicated to Malliecat (:

Kay x

_____________________________

Chapter 8

Sophia’s POV

After school, I decided to head to the gym and wait for Jack who had soccer practice. Once I had changed into my gym gear I headed up, and I couldn’t help but notice that the basketball courts were empty. Back in England I played for the local team, another reason I was reluctant of moving. This school did not have a girls’ basketball team as there is a lack of participants. Looking around to see if anyone was going to be using the courts I headed in. What could a few minutes of practice do?

Seeing the iPod speakers on the side, I mentally did a happy dance; I always practiced and played basketball to music. Plugging in my iPod I put it on my playlist.

Putting on my baseball cap and pulling up my hood, I went and grabbed a ball just as Olly Murs sweet voice singing troublemaker filled my ears.

I started off dribbling the ball in time to the music and headed for the basket. You see, I don’t just play basketball, instead of focusing on the ball and the basket, I decide to dance and dribble, focussing on the music. So as I jump to shoot I kick my leg up do a half turn and shoot. Score! Basketball can be a whole lot more than just a game; it gives me an opportunity to dance.

I carried on playing basketball/dancing until the music stopped near the end of the 3rd song; Olly Murs- Dance with me tonight. Uh-oh.

‘What’s your name son?’ Asked a deep voice, which sounded a lot like coach. Wait did he just say son? Damn he thinks I’m a guy! Well I guess you can’t really tell from the back considering I’m wearing those puffy grey trackies and a hoody with a hat.

Slowly turning around, pushing back my hood and taking of my hat, I came face to face with coach and the whole of the basketball squad which included Brad, Wes and Drew. As recognition crossed their faces and realisation hit that I’m a girl, they all gasped. Even the coach looked surprised.

Slightly feeling uncomfortable under their gazes I looked towards the coach and said, ‘Umm hi, my names Sophia. Sorry I didn’t realise anyone would be using the courts today’

The coach looked at me for a few seconds as if he was trying to figure out if this was a joke.

A new voice broke in, breaking the awkward silence.

‘Soph that was sick!’ Drew ran up to me and hugged me.

Laughing him off I said thanks just as Brad came up and agreed giving me a hi5.

‘Yeah you’ve got skills’ said the coach making us all turn silent and face him. Murmurs of agreement from the rest of the team then filled the room.

‘Where did you learn to play like that?’ asked one of the team, I think his name was Tom.

‘Erm, I use to be in a team back in England, we are number one out of all the schools in the area’ Just then a loud whistle filled the room, you know one of those ‘wow’ whistles. The team turned silent as Wes stepped forward.

‘Impressive… for a girl’

Narrowing my eyes I stepped towards him,

‘What are you trying to say? That girls can’t play as good as guys?’