Chapter 9.

West Philadelphia, 5:45 a.m.
Cairo

I wasn't ready to leave

I wasn't ready to leave. I couldn't leave. I didn't feel like I was able to leave. And she knew that. So why would she leave me? Huh? It didn't make any sense to me.

I was at the hospital in West Philly, sitting right next to my grandmother. My mom called me yesterday, telling me that she had a seizure, and that now she was in a coma because of it. When I got here, everyone was looking like they lose hope. My mom, my younger sister, my brother, my pops....
they all had they head down. Like she was dead.

She wasn't gonna leave me. Not like this. She told me that she was gonna push through and be strong. And she told me to the same thing. And we agreed to do it together. That was the only thing on my mind. Us pushing through...and doing it together.

" Long time no see son." Cairo looks back, seeing his father stand in the doorway.

" What's up Joe?"

" It's been a minute since we last seen each other..."

" Yeah...crazy how some shit like this gotta happen for us to come together though. It ain't right."

" You're right son. Hopefully, this will all bring us closer."

" This will bring us closer. I know it will....I just wish it didn't have to take a health scare for it to happen."

" I mean, we could've all came together before this. If we put the beef and drama aside."

" What beef? Huh? You talking about the envy you all got toward me?"

" Envy? Boy, ain't nobody jealous of your soft singing ass. What you need to do is humble yourself. That's the real deal and problem at hand."

" Nah. The real problem is y'all thinking that I owe you something. When in reality, I don't owe you a damn
thing."

" Who you thinking you talkin' to boy? You forget that I'm your father? Where's your damn respect?"

" Step-father. And respect is earned, not given." Cairo says, standing up. Joe sizes up with him, the both of them sharing heated exchanges. Cairo's mother, Carolyn comes into the room, being followed by Rissa and Caleb, Cairo's siblings.

" What is going on with you two?" my mother says.

" This boy done forgot who the hell raised his ass. I told y'all that money shit done got to his head! Ain't shit changed with him!"