chapter fifty-four

Sorry if this chapter is not as interesting as the rest, I have had such a bad week I cannot focus. Two chapters left of The Seven Devils! Afterwards, we dive into the sequel. I do not want to spoil too much, but expect a few things: new characters, more diversity in cast and magic, more folklore, and, of course, all of the Knights and Varya's group.

 I do not want to spoil too much, but expect a few things: new characters, more diversity in cast and magic, more folklore, and, of course, all of the Knights and Varya's group

CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

The Knights marched through the obscure hallways, shadows gliding on their faces as they passed the candlelight. Some staggered, some shivered, yet all were alive, and that was all that mattered. Tom walked ahead, carrying Varya and neglecting the stinging ache in his arm, and he tried not to look at his flesh as it hung from the open wound.

Icarus helped Elladora, as the girl's eyebrows furrowed in agony, and blood coated her apricot lips as she clutched her side, trying to steady her ribs as they walked. Even so, she made no sound of pain and endured it all until they reached Dumbledore's office.

"I go in," said Tom, not even turning to face his acolytes, yet he felt them all nod, "Wait here."

With that, he opened the door to his study, not even bothering to knock, and in stepped the Slytherin prefect with an unconscious girl in his arms. Albus' gaze immediately fastened to him, and yet he did not look surprised. With a small hand gesture, he transfigured one of his chairs into a hospital bed and instructed Tom to place the girl down.

Riddle did just that, letting Varya's body down on the bed, then took a step back as he analyzed her figure. The girl seemed fatigued, beaten up by her disintegrating mind, and he knew that the parasite was feeding on her vitality. Even with the Horcrux, the girl would still experience lethargy after being haunted by her Obscurus.

"I assume her Obscurus unleashed after the news," his ragged voice dragged out each word, and Tom bit back the provocation as he clasped hands behind his back, maintaining his mask of perfectness and grace even in such moments, "I saw you and your...friends...run out of the Great Hall in quite a hurry. Unusual for a group of students to act so rashly in the face of danger they do not understand."